3.0 out of 5 stars I don't think it works for unfit fat older women, 17 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)
I'm 60 and 3 stone overweight. My attention was caught by the extracts in the times but I'm disappointed with the book. To begin, with I'm struggling to read it at all because a lot of it is in a really odd spidery script!
Ruth is unrealistic. She admits she was really into sport at school and never fat, and her mother played squash and netball after her kids were born and was active into her 40s. How can she relate to somebody like me who was always last to be picked for school sports? Her husband could run 4 miles after just 6 weeks - the furthest I have ever run in my entire life without stopping is half a mile and that was after 6 months training for a charity race. She talks about finding attractive circuits with little or no concrete that are fairly flat and start and end at the front door. I live in the country and I can't do that. (Her mother apparently lives in the Virginia Water park?)
All of these points are excuses but probably my main problem is that I don't respond to the stick, I just hibernate. Like Ruth I have an inner Grit Doctor. She gets me up at 3am to take my mother to the bathroom but she'll never get me to run at 6am on an empty stomach in the dark.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Jan 2012 13:48:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jan 2012 13:51:04 GMT
M. Doherty says:
Yes I know it is tough. I live in the country and there is no green area. I have to drive my car to the end of the lane and park up as my lane is too scary to run up, there are no lights at all. But I just get out, for the first week all I did was walk quickly, Ruth talks about building up your strength over time. I never manage to run first thing in the morning either as I have to be up for work at 6.15, [although I fantasise about getting out one morning at 5.15 and then getting ready for work]

If you have to get up to your Mum at 3 in the morning it will be much easier if you are getting some exercise and generally feeling better about yourself.

I always go out in the evening before i go anywhere near the tv and tell myself well I could go out and feel better afterwards or I could slip into semi conscious state on the sofa watching telly so then I find the motivation to get out.

The point being that we can find away around these stumbling blocks, as hard as it is. Ruth's message is just get out there and walk for the first month and a half if you havn't done anything in a while and then work from there.

I think this book is fantastic and have recommended it to all my friends and family.

I would love my Mum who is not fit at all to join me on a run.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2012 18:47:11 GMT
Hippiepig says:
I know it is difficult but may I suggest the NHS running plan taht you can download onto MP3 player. Designed for 50+. It gradually builds up to running 20min in 9 weeks. I am week 2 and amazed to be running 2min at a time! Can be found by goggling.

Posted on 25 Jan 2012 11:19:29 GMT
Really sorry the book didn't work for you. I haven't yet read it, am just deliberating whether to buy or not but your comment really struck a chord with me. I was in a similar position to you, not from a sporty family, always useless at school, hated games - and games hated me!! Whilst living in London a few years ago I watched the Marathon & was amazed at all the different shapes, sizes, ages & abilities & was inspired to have a go. I started slowly (very slowly!) & eventually did the Race for Life 5 k - and ran the whole way. Three years later I ran the London Marathon for the first time, have since done it again and running is so much a part of my life & am unbearable to live with if I can't. My husband is in the army so we move on a regular basis but no matter where we have been posted I have found manageable running routes from 3 miles to 22. Sometimes the only time I can fit in a run is a 6 in the morning with my dog & a headtorch - but I do it!!

I would suggest this link to get you started http://www.bupa.co.uk/running/training/training-programmes/beginner-5km/ and remember, the only person stopping you - is you!! Go on, have a go!! You can do anything if you want to enough!!

Posted on 27 Apr 2012 18:59:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Apr 2012 19:11:50 BDT
princesstrio says:
Hi there B Bampton,
I read your review and you really tugged at my heart strings. I am a Nurse and I know how difficult and stressful it is to be caring for patients never mind your own Mother. I am 40 in May and have never run in my life and I just bought this book to motivate me although I havent read it yet. I have however just read the most amazing book which has tranformed my daily habits and diet, its Marilyn Glenvilles Fat around the middle. It is an amazing book and teaches you that stress. i.e the stress of looking after your Mother, makes you fat as stress releases cortisol into the bloodstream which activates the fight or flight response in your body and you crave all the wrong foods , which your body then stores as fat aound your middle in case you need the reserevs to slay a dragon or such like. If you reduce stress you stop storing fat round the middle.Honestly the book was a complete revealtion to me and my 60 year old size 24 + Mother who has never exercised, always been an over weight comfort eater due to a stressful life . She is bowled over by the book. For me, it explains why I had such an unhealthy diet and lifiestyle, why I always craved sugary stuff and loved carbs ,im size 10 to 12 but have a large protuding belly anD this book explains why. I think even if you do not store fat in the tummy area this is still a good book to teach you about stress and diet. Or you could try her other book Managing Cortsol. I think if you read this book and implemented some of the changes and then just took brisk walks you would notice the difference. In the meantime, fair play to you for doing the noble job of looking after your Mother . I applaud you whatever size you are. May God bless you and yours.

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 22:43:46 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 4 Jul 2012 22:52:25 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2013 12:59:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Jul 2015 11:09:17 BDT
B. Bampton says:
Hi Mrs Milner. I always wanted to be able to run and 11 years ago, before Mum was really ill, I entered a team in the relay section of the Edinburgh marathon. At 52 I was the oldest in the team by around 20 years and I put myself down for the 6k section. Despite training three times a week and joining a good gym, I never managed (in 6 months) to run for more than 5 minutes at a time so I take my hat off to you. I did however, raise £1,200 for my charity.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2014 00:00:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Mar 2014 00:00:39 GMT
B. Bampton says:
Hi Hippiepig. This looks quite good but I don't have an MP3 player. I will see if they have a written plan.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jul 2015 11:05:20 BDT