on 14 January 2014
This release was delayed somewhat, annoyed me no end! Here tis, one day (doh!) after release, and the wait was so well worth it.

The third iteration of the label name (the other two were in the 1920s), this had humble beginnings in the Rainbow Record Shop, in Harlem, next door to the theatre of the same name. Husband and wife team Isaac and Bess Berman ran the show, with help from a couple of other partners. In short order, Bess became the boss.

As many of you'll know, Apollo was noted for its gospel, r&b, blues, doo-wop, even a little r&r output (see Mel Albert and Smiley Smith) and it's all here in this wunnerful triple, the majority of which was new to me. If you enjoy the genres mentioned, you NEED this in your collection! I've only skated thru the discs (in order to be the first 'reviewer'!) and I enjoyed everything; I'd give it six stars if I could. (Do remember, this 'review' is meant to be subjective).

But as I've been reminded, in recent years (while I'd dropped out of record retailing), there were a fair few Apollo releases on the UK labels Westside and Acrobat while in the US, Relic put out a whole bunch of CDs sourced from Apollo. (Mastering sources for this set?). Whatever, on this showing I'd certainly welcome another triple, perhaps this time they could include material from subsid label Lloyd's, apparently noted for doo-wop.

Now, go away, I intend to immerse myself most thoroughly in The Apollo Records Story, one of the best - for me - releases on One Day in a while.
What's this?