on 26 March 2014
I ummed and arred about this satnav and nearly went for the Garmin 2597 but my nephew, a long-distance coach driver persuaded me that the TomTom is best. I wish I'd ignored him.

You don't get any documentation for the satnav out of the box except for a flyer to tell you to plug it into your computer. It doesn't explain the subtleties of the different connection options so the user has to guess which is the one to use for download (MyDrive or TomTom Home) I elected myDrive and was connected. I elected to download the Europe map updates. They started off and my satnav said, OK, disconnect form PC. But the PC said, Sty Connected. Good job I did! Download OK.

Then I elected to download the speed camera database. I ignored the instruction on my satnav to disconnect and started the download. PC said it would take 2 hours 30 mins. Then satnav burst into life and agreed with timing. So sat there waiting for download to complete (it goes very much faster towards the end). However, the satnav must have a power-off timer built in so that it switches off after approx two hours - before the download completed!!
I powered back up, reconnected and saw a msg on PC to say download not complete. It took ages to figure out how to complete and I'm still not sure that it did it. My account at TomTom shows that my satnav has europe maps and speed cameras. I won't know until I get to France.

Powering off is a problem. I once borrowed a TomTom in France and after an hour or so it too powered off for no reason. It took a long time before I could get it back on again. I hope this new 135M is not going to do the same.

All in all, I am not happy with TomTom. My very first satnav years ago was a Road Angel. It was pretty slow but it worked well enough and the book was good at helping out. I'll add more comments as I get to use the new one, but setting it up and learning how to navigate the screens and what does what is a nightmare!!!

........part two ............

OK....I've now downloaded the User Guide to my Kindle and my Tablet computer so I can read it more easily. With this and a stab at the intuitive (hard work, though) nature of the beast I was able to get some use from it. And I have to say, my initial tests were very satisfactory.

First, the system works very well while driving and, when you vary your route, I found that it re-calculated in less than 4 seconds!! Very good. That helps a lot.

But one thing is odd: I bought this model because it allowed me to issue voice commands. However, the manual and the device's help lists the commands that one can give, which, unfortunately vary. An example: You are supposed to be able to tell the satnav to take you to a 'hotel', a 'restaurant' or 'home'. So I would say, 'drive me to x'; or, 'take me to x'. But the menu sys you should use the words 'navigate', 'take', 'drive', yet the system accepts only the words it wants - invariably not the ones in the user guide! Seems the systems designers and the tech authors need to get together on this! That said, once learned, it works.

We'll see how it goes....
15 people found this helpful