5.0 out of 5 stars Z 680's.How good are they?, 23 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX certified Home Theatre Speakers with 505 watts (Electronics)
Firstly,delivery by Amazon was excelent,professional as ever.But hey you know that or you wouldn't be here.What you really want to know is if this system is worth 200 smackers,right?
I did my hook up in two stages one to see everything worked and then two was final connection.Below is a thread i have posted on 3d guru,it might help you a bit.
Firstly-Ran the system hooked up roughly for a couple of days with the original cabling and pretty impressed.
Spent today drilling holes in walls and rolling about in the loft.End result is the system is hooked up with a good quality 2.5 mm speaker cable.LF,LR,RF & RR are all high in the corners of the room.Center speaker is directly in front of my face(2 foot away).Woofer is on the floor at my feet.Control pod is beside my monitor.
When I first posted this thread I said that the wow factor was large even with a rough hook up using standard cables and placing speakers where I could.This was a basic test to ensure all components were working out of the box and I was impressed.
The surprising thing is how much better the sound is with good cables,the speakers correctly mounted/spotted and the system balanced.
I noticed an improvement in the sound during initial hook up and the speakers had been ran for a few hours.So calling that improvement a magnitude of 1 good cabling and positioning give a second magnitude.
I think there may be a third magnitude in there somewhere as I am running on analog signal using the cable supplied by Logitech.
For music I have been playing Scissor sisters,Pink Floyd and various 70's/80's dance tracks.If anyone remembers Phil Spector talking about his 'wall of sound' that's what you get with this baby.Stand in the middle of the room balance the Pod and turn it up on 6 channel direct.Hit from all sides and jitter on the spot!!
The ONLY thing I feel detracts from this system is that the Sub is too powerful.There is no way that anyone can need that much Bass.Turn it right up and it drowns everything else.But hey if the only complaint is too much bass and you can turn it down its not a problem.
Almost forgot,Doom 3 sound effects.Oh my god how good are they!! Also Thief 3 had me looking behind myself last night.Funny that the focus in games is on graphics in so many reviews.I now realise just how much I have been missing in games by using a 2 speaker set up.
Anyway that's it from me,hope this helps someone,if not feel free to slag me off and I'll treat you with the disdain you fully deserve.Go and buy one of these systems,don't hold back you'll have it for years and get excellent value for money.I'm so glad my latest upgrade was this and not memory as it was going to be.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]