VINE VOICEon 17 July 2013
Now before you go dive bombing my house with pink pig awards, I would like to point out that I am a huge Whitesnake fan. I tipped over into nutty collector status a long, long time ago, as anyone who has tried to navigate their way through the Snake shelves in the spare room will attest. But I'm not 100% happy about this. After all, we managed quite happily to last a quarter of a century between Whitesnake live album (excluding Starkers), so do we really need two in the space of six months? And, yes I know that "Made In Japan" was supposed to be a live DVD with the audio as a bonus, but it still counts.

But now we have the poorly titled "Made In Britain/The World Record" spread across two CDs The main British CD sees the band going through the exact same set as Japan, although it is a full length set with `My Evil Ways', `Fare Thee Well' and `Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City' restored to the middle of the running order. But everything else is practically identical, right down to the grunts and the widdles. Don't get me wrong I can't have enough versions of `Love Ain't No Stranger' and `Steal Your Heart Away', but still. I suppose there will be some Snake fans out there who didn't bother with the DVD so they'll be please to hear a plethora of newer material like `Best Years', `Forevermore', `Love Will Set You Free' and the numbers mentioned above, but for the fanatics amongst us, there are no surprises.

Which means it's the bolted on World Record that interests me more. The furriners get a different track listing so there is room for the likes of `Slide it In', `Lay Down Your Love', `Can You Hear the Wind Blow', 'The Deeper the Love' and trips to Deep Purple land for `Soldier Of Fortune' and `Burn / Stormbringer'. It makes for a much better listen, and is hands down the better CD. I must admit I am one of those people who prefer to hear a concert from beginning to end, rather than a stitched together melange of numbers from 9 UK shows and a further 87 furrin gigs, but you don't really notice the joins. The band are in fine form and as I've said elsewhere Coverdale has dropped down his vocal range, so the strained scream of a few years back have gone. And if your bank balance is starting to feel the strain (and this isn't a cheap CD), then Sir David has some bad news for you.

He says; "for the end of the year, we're hoping to achieve a limited-edition box set for Christmas," Coverdale went on to explain, saying it'll be "`Forevermore -- The Complete Collection,' which will have everything `Forevermore'-related plus outtakes, alternate mixes, acoustic versions of songs, behind-the-scenes footage. Really cool stuff." And for completists like me, this "Made In Britain/The World Record" CD has a bonus Japanese track in the shape of `Ain't Gonna Cry No More (Acoustic)', so it's credit card ahoy once again.

If it wasn't for the second disc I'd be hard pushed to recommend this, and the premium price will put some off. However, if you have the cash, "The World Record" is definitely worth it.
0Comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?