5.0 out of 5 stars DON'T LET ME SAY I TOLD YOU SO, 7 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Gumdrop Drop Tech Series Case for iPhone 5 - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I waited over three weeks for the delivery of my iPhone 5, in the meantime I got together everything I would need to protect what is an expensive gadget.
I didn't hesitate and put in an order for the Gumdrop protective case. I have one of these on my iPhone 4S and my iPad 3 and if you read my reviews you'll see as to why I opted for this particular brand of protective cover.

Now I know that some people like to show off their phone to the opposition, with the `hey look at what I have!' smiles on their faces, but the first time they drop it (and they will) as they pick it up off the floor you will see the look of anguish on their face.

Apparently the new iPhone 5 which is made out of aluminium, especially the black anodised one, is susceptible to scratches, scrapes and nicks. This is not surprising as aluminium is a soft metal. If you don't mind the aged look of your phone, the worn pair of jeans effect, then by all means go without a case. If you are looking to sell the phone in a year or two, and want full resale value then protect it.

The Gumdrop on my iPhone 4S has looked after my phone for the last year, it's been dropped from a ladder, fell off the car roof (35mph) as I had forgotten it was there, was left in a pocket full of sea shells courtesy of my son and dropped out of the window by my three year old daughter.
It has not only survived that but also what I have put it through and it is still in pristine condition having spent most of its life out of doors.

The new case is a little longer (to accommodate the longer phone) and has the same tyre tread pattern as the old one which gives it super grip when left on the dash of my car. It is however a few millimetres thinner and holding both the cases the new one feels better in the hand. This makes it more pocketable. The screen protector is as before, it works and does not seem to produce `oil slicks' like the iPad 3 case did. All in all it is the same case, why mess with what is not broken.

Even though it is in the case, I still use a Steinheil Ultra Crystal screen protector on both the front and back of the device. Past experience has taught me that tiny little particles can still get into any case and rub away at the surface of the phone leaving marks. There is a plastic surround for the camera lens that fits into the back of the case. If bits of grit get in under the plastic surround it can leave small scratches on the glass around the camera lens. Be warned, use a screen and rear protector under this cover.

Finally, this time I have not sold my old phone on, my wife has taken possession of it unlike her old Nokia (a good few years old) which has teething marks and dents all over it, she decided she needed something more up to date. Unfortunately she has now become one of those `look at my shiny phone' people. Ah well, who am I to reason with her? I'll just pick up the repair bill later. I will however still use my `I told you so' look when I do!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]