on 23 September 2009
Not been a fan of Need for Speed games for a long time now. in fact the last one I played was Hot pursuit 2.

Well I watched the demos and saw the screenshots and it appeared to be more of an actual racing game to me than one about what colour your paint is and the size of your alloys, so I decided to try it out. I am so glad I did.
I played Grid for 1000s of hours online and to me that game was the best racing game I had ever played.
The graphics in Grid were beautiful, but I always felt it looked a little washed out and the bloom effect was used too much giving soft blurry edges to backgrounds. Shift is a much sharper game visually, especially in the track detail. The cars in Shift look a little better I think, its a shame that some of the textures are not a little better, however I felt Grid had that same problem. The cockpit view in Shift is light years ahead of Grid. All the car interiors are exact, all the dials move correctly and look clear, the textures on the dash in particular are very good.
Then there is the vehicle choices that Shift has to offer. More exotic vehicles than Grid, of course Grids cars were all trakc cars, with Shift you modify a standard car so theres a lot more choice to begin with in Shift.
Its a hell of a rush blasting down narrow tracks in a Bugatti Veyron at 175mph, cars either side of you, cars all around you in fact, then theres an accident in the group just in front of you, wow, cars flipping, parts flying through the air. The attention to detail is astonishing.
However the main thing is the gameplay and it is absolutely perfect. Whether you use a pad or a wheel it plays fantastic. I've been playing with both my Logitech cordless rumblepad 2 and a logitech formula force GP wheel and pedals, and they both feel great to play with. Every car feels different, and once you've modified your cars you can really tell the difference in all areas.
22 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?