2.0 out of 5 stars Meh, it mostly works on Linux, 11 Oct. 2012
This review is from: PC Radio Stereo Headset Headphones Earphones / 2.4 GHz Wireless / 10 m Transmission Distance / Headset + Microphone + Wireless Stick (Macbook Air Macbook Pro iMac mit Mac OS Lion Leopard/ PCs mit Linux Ubuntu/ Windows 7 XP PC, iPad 3 with Hebron Camera Connection Kit - detects new hardware automatically. If not detected, please try different USB port.) (Electronics)
Well, it works on Ubuntu Maverick, with a bit of cajoling: I needed to compile pavucontrol (PulseAudio volume control) from source, working around a problem with its Makefile, in order to enable the new devices for USB sound input and output. I think this would have happened for any USB headset, and can mostly be attributed to rubbish sound support on Ubuntu Maverick (which might have been partly fixed in subsequent releases) rather than a specific problem with this headset.

[Edit: indeed this headset works out-of-the-box on Linux Mint 13.]

The power-off timeout when not in use is definitely a bit too short, and the only way to reset it is to turn the headset off and on again using the switch on one of the earpieces. It doesn't cause a problem when the headset is in continuous use, but when you're fiddling with the sound configuration in a new application to get it to work (which unfortunately tends to be necessary on Linux), it's easy to forget that it might have timed out and think that it's not working for some other reason.

The background hum/whine mentioned in other reviews is real. I have hyperacusis so it seems quite loud to me. That and the timeout issue would be sufficient for me not to buy this headset again if I needed a replacement.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Jan 2013 16:32:41 GMT
Red says:
Hi

I wear earplugs when I go outside of the house or empty/fill the dishwasher. Clattering plates are the worst.

I have Fullness, Hyperacusis and Tinnitus. My GP and the ENT's seem baffled. They think it's something to do with my eustachian tubes, but they are not sure.

Do you happen to know what caused your symptom or what can be done to help the symptom?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2013 04:10:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jan 2013 04:12:29 GMT
In my case industrial noise may have contributed to the severity (I have worked frequently in noisy factories); on the other hand I distinctly remember having some of the symptoms as a child before I'd been exposed to that noise.

Sometimes sealing both ears with my fingers and then pulling them out quickly, works to reduce the volume of tinnitus temporarily (possibly as a result of pressure changes), although I'm not sure that should be recommended. An ENT also didn't say much of any help to me; I don't think hyperacusis and tinnitus are in general well understood. Sorry I can't help more than that.

I know some medications can cause tinnitus as a side effect, although that isn't the problem for mine.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›