on 19 March 2012
I will begin by thanking Amazon, as they were the ones who recommended this album (big pat on the back for that). I'm a big fan of The National and Boxer Rebellion, which was probably why it was recommended to me. I can normally tell how much I'm going to like or dislike an album straight away, if the song doesn't catch my attention in the first few seconds then I usually press skip on the i-pod and if I skip the majority of the songs on the album then this usually leads to me discarding it. Sadly on the first listen to this album it never really stood out to me but oddly I did give it a second chance and I'm so glad I did. Its been playing none stop on my i-pod since.

The lead singers voice is very hard to describe, I suppose it kind of sounds like he's been shouting too much or has just come into the studio with a sore throat after a serious bender the night before. But its unique and slighty soothing in a weird way. Many would slate this album for being too depressing, which after his brother (recent) and mother (not so much) commiting suicide, he's not going to be playing the trumpet and dancing the macarena now is he. Perhaps its me and I'm a sucker for depressive songs because I know for sure I seriously love this album.

Standout tracks are the first two and 'new drink for old drunk'. Go on give it a punt.
0Comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?