on 1 July 2010
Hoping to upgrade my design software to one that is Windows 7 compatible, I looked forward to seeing what over 7 years of development from my last 3D Floorplan software would bring. I can't believe it could be this bad. Admittedly, I'm trying to recreate an existing house design rather than designing from scratch. But this was nearly impossible. Features that should have made it easier either don't work as advertised or not at all.
After half a day's work, I had barely got in a the walls of the plan. When I came to retrieve the plan the next day, walls had disappeared at random. My backup copies also showed walls missing but different walls! Exasperating!
Icons are ludicrously small on my screen making choosing doors, windows or other objects an effort of fine mouse control. I tried for ages to rotate an object without finding a way in the 2D mode. I could sometimes do so in the 3D view but not easily. The Help was useless. Suggesting options that simply weren't in the toolbar.
To try and change a wall, for example requires a major effort. In my previous software I could simply drag the whole side of a room or even house to increase the size while showing the measurements. Trying to get measurements of rooms was an effort.
Snap! Don't get me started. No matter what option I chose out of the plethora in the options, 'Snap' insisted on staying on. Meaning walls could not be fine tuned to exact measurements.
Am I going to persist? I've tried designing something from scratch. Plain annoying. I've tried starting with one of the pre-made designs; Frustrating! I've tried to watch one of the tutorials, which have more in common with Monty Python's 'How to Play the Flute' than serious training.
So when I have more time and nothing serious I need to achieve, I'll give it a few hours more. But seriously, I got my complete plan done in Powerpoint in less time than it took to get a toilet to rotate in this package.
This product needs serious consumer testing and feedback.
0Comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?