on 6 June 2003
I can't agree with the other reviews here so far, perhaps they are talking about the 1st edition (I have the new edition). This book is a fantastic introduction to Korn shell scripting, as well as an introduction into the kind of thinking required for "real" programming. In my experience, programming books for beginners can often throw the reader in at the deep end, for some reason assuming he/she already knows a programming language, or at least is very familiar with UNIX commands, utilities and regular expressions. Just how many true beginners match these assumptions?
I found this book to be an excellent companion while getting to grips with exactly how you go about getting the computer to do things for you. Although I now realise the limitations of shell scripting and am learning another programming language (Perl) I would not be doing so if I had not had this book to help me get this far.
What's this?