on 10 January 2014
Maybe I'm not the right age category but this book is far from the "amazing" read I was expecting based on these reviews. Yes, the story moves along nicely, yes, the author definitely has a very distinctive voice, but do I like that story or that distinctive voice? Not particularly much, and I was expecting more depth to the story. It was a light read, not even 300 pages, so made a good companion for a long flight but I don't think I'll bother with the follow-up book as I'm just not that interested to find out what happens.

A minor moan to the publishing company: the backcover is the biggest spoiler in the history of publishing! (well, nearly.) The blurb spells out that the duo will have to complete three impossible tasks so reading the story I was expecting these three tasks to be revealed. I certainly did not expect the "revelation" that the unbreakable curse is breakable by completing three impossible tasks to be the denouement of the story...so that was a bit of a downer.

This read like YA fantasy so perhaps more appropriate and enjoyable to teenagers.
What's this?