In 2004, Deidre Knight the Knight Literary Agency turned down my novel, which later sold to Dorchester books. Sometimes an agent turns a writer down and you have no idea why. It can be many reasons aside for just not good; books are too similar to a writers she already has, she thinks it's too tough to try and market, or just the market is saturated or not buying that genre. The writer cannot get a read between the lines as to why something was rejected. Knight rejected me with a very nice note telling me she really got my story, loved my heroine, but I was too close to three authors her had under contract already and her first commitment was to them. I understood that. I moved on, landed with the agent I wanted. NOT that you as readers are interested in all that, but often I get accused of doing reviews for fellow authors or even being paid. I am not paid. I was a reviewer and reader long before I was an author and I NEVER say one thing about a book I don't feel is 100% true. We may not agree. That is life. However, I don't want that same thing being said about my review for Ms. Knight's novel. She turned down representing me, so I have no reason to write this review, except I enjoyed her novel.

That said, Ms. Knight has created a completing story. It's not easy to step into the Sci-Fi Romance market and deliver something that hasn't been done twenty times in 1950s B Movies. Yet, Knight delivers in her first book, the start of a series, a very imaginative tale of aliens and their struggle to survive. Instead of an alien race wanting to come with their ray guns and take over the Earth, you have one determined to protect it.

Jared Bennett, exiled king, has spent his life in fighting an enemy. He's been to earth before, but has lost memory of that. His war has grown to a dangerous level and there is only weapon, the key that can save his people. In a pitch battle, Jared's ship is forced to crash land, wounding him. A geologist, Kelsey Wells comes upon the injured man and helps him. Their attraction is instant. Jared knows that Kelsey could be his mate for life, but he also recognises that binding her to him, puts her at risk. Added to this, there are secrets locked with Kelsey's memory. The very key that Jared seeks free his people from the endless war.

But to do that, he must betray Kelsey. Solid conflict.

The adventure has a pace that keeps the reader glued, as Knight summons an alternative world. The characters Jared and Kelsey are complex, not paper doll. They give you deep sensual emotions, sexy hot love scenes, and they are fully realised people. Jared is all you could want in a hero. Refreshingly, Knight laces this all with a wicked sense of humour to make her debut one highly entertaining read.

There is a clear sense of "series" to the book as some threads are left hanging. I can live with that. I can wait for Parallel Heat coming in October to continue the story.

Highly recommended for Sci-Fi romance fans or anyone looking for a different sort of romance.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.