TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 9 February 2011
This film could of gone one of 2 ways: it could have been a swords and sorcery corker or a complete Turkey, wandering around aimlessly before reaching its end. In the end though it took a third, totally unexpected path...

The story really wasn't the Kinght's tale I'd expected - in fact it almost became a horror in some ways. Not in a gory sense, but in a freaky, unsettling way - in some ways it very much reminded me of the Wicker Man starring old `Ewar Woo War' (as the joke goes).

Don't expect a heroic adventure with clashing shields and knights in armour as I did, do expect (as the title of the film subtly suggests) a spooky tale about witchcraft and necromancy, set to a back drop of torture in medieval England.

The acting was very good and in the beginning you were never quite sure who to trust. The the young guy in the lead role was very likeable and convincing and I must say, even though I can't stand Sean Bean, he was good - dare I say I even quite liked him?

There were also strong performances from the rest of the cast with some very loveable rogues. And even one or two comedy moments when they delivered the odd medieval quip here & there.

The action, was rare... very rare... but when the film's one battle did take place half way through, it was fast paced, realistic and very, very gruesome - just what you might expect to find on the battlefield of the dark days of yore in which the film is set.

Although set in England, it was filmed in Germany, and the scenery and costumes were very good, adding to the whole ambience of the film. A film which threw up more than a few surprises and whose twists and turns never took you were you expected to go.

Overall both I and my friends enjoyed the film much more than we thought we would even though it was far from the type of tale we were expecting. The one thing I would say that let it down though was the Blu Ray transfer, which wasn't very crisp.

Picture quality aside though it was a good effort which will receive 8 out of 10 from me. A film I'll be keeping and recommending to friends when they come over and they're thumbing through the collection deciding what to watch. A stingy 4 stars from me - it's not far off 5 I'd say, and a great example of how good British film making can be when done right.
What's this?