on 22 September 2012
Not much to say about this - the last few laptop drives I've bought have been WD Scorpio Blue - seems a good compromise between speed, price, noise, power consumption, capacity - all the things which need to be balanced according to your particular needs. I've never had a WD drive fail so, while I know that some inevitably do fail, personal satisfaction gives me a bit of a bias towards them. (In fact the only drives I've had fail in recent times have been IBM/Hitachi ones - I bought this to replace the IBM/Hitachi drive shipped with my new macbook pro - I wanted a bigger drive, of a make I trusted more...)

I tried a Samsung drive a couple of upgrades ago because it outperformed the equivalent WD on spec, but it seemed to run quite hot, seemed no faster in fact, and, while it was no *louder*, the noise it made seemed somehow more intrusive, so I swapped it out to a caddy and got yet another WD blue.

No complaints about this drive. As with all drives, the capacity as stated is a little ball-park - I think this might have a few fewer sectors than some other nominally 1TB drives, but then it's only 9mm thick, same physical size as its 500GB forebear. Although the 12mm drives will fit inside my 17" macbook, this has more room to breath, I'm guessing that makes it run a tad cooler.
0Comment| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?