5.0 out of 5 stars People are so stupid it makes my brain hurt, 1 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Prometheus - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy) [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Im not going to review this film as such, you'll either see it or you won't based on what you've already heard, but I will say one (or more) thing(s).

THIS IS NOT A PREQUEL TO ALIEN!!!

Ridley Scott said it over and over again and dumb sh*ts who want nothing more than prequels and sequels to watch so they can remain in their comfort zone and never really have to think about anything too taxing, read subtitles or comprehend plot twists, just refused to believe it.

This film IS based in the same universe as the Alien franchise but instead of being a straight up prequel a la Michael Bay (or any of the other directors these days who only play in the safe zone) its simply set before the incidents on LV 426 and is vaguely connected:

You DO get to see the origins of the Xenomorph species.
The film DOES show you where the huge "Space Jockey" from the original Alien movie originates.
The company involved IS the Wayland Yutani Corp...
That's where the connections end. Prometheus is an entirely new film.

How can I put it for stupid people? Uuuummmmm... You know how your bedroom and living room are IN THE SAME HOUSE? And sometimes you see similar things in one room that you've seen in another because they are both in the same house but not IN THE SAME ROOM? Its like that. You got that champ?

If you are a fan of the originals and go into this expecting to see more of the same then you WILL be disappointed.
That's not to say that this film isn't fantastic, because it is!
Apart from the fact that it's one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen, rivaling Avatar in this respect, it's also entertaining and gripping.

And for a moment I would like you to simply think about the original movies instead of just blindly quoting them as classics of cinema. Were they so exceptionally original to be considered better than Prometheus?

Think about it:
Alien - Big monster kills everyone
Aliens - Send in army. More big monsters kill everyone
Alien3 - Big monster kills everyone
Alien Resurrection - You get my point...

I'm not saying I don't love the originals. I do, I adore them. I'm simply saying that to judge this film so harshly in comparison to films that didn't really accomplish anything more than this one is very unfair.

And why is it that truly boring films like 2001 are hailed as "classic" and things like "well it was amazing for its time" are enough of a reason for it to be considered a classic?
2001 was beautiful but boring...Prometheus is very beautiful and not boring. Go figure.

I would like to say that Prometheus is also amazing for its time(that applies regardless of the time right?) and I would like to applaud Scott for remaining a truly visionary director and not just kowtowing to executives who want only to make money and don't give a rats a*se about the art of cinema and movie making.

PS. There will be another two films for any of those who felt like things hadn't been tied up properly at the end of this film and maybe felt a little confused about some of the unresolved plot lines. Probably the same people who wondered why Frodo hadn't destroyed the ring yet at the end of Fellowship...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Aug 2012, 21:34:52 BST
pratt

Posted on 1 Aug 2012, 23:54:43 BST
Last edited by the author on 1 Aug 2012, 23:56:18 BST
Julian Frith says:
Many things I agreed with, others I don't - especially the 2001 bit. If you expect people to take your review seriously don't denigrate what others may adore because it invalidates your main argument. Oh and lay off throwing out the insults. Peace

Posted on 2 Aug 2012, 09:12:26 BST

Posted on 2 Aug 2012, 10:54:41 BST
Bongo says:
You make some fair points...... pity you overlook the fact that it's still UTTER CRAP!! Fanboys make my brain hurt.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2012, 17:01:27 BST
[Deleted by the author on 2 Aug 2012, 17:16:49 BST]

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2012, 17:05:42 BST
Last edited by the author on 2 Aug 2012, 17:29:46 BST
Dr. Nerdtech says:
Thank you stephenriely for your insightful and useful reply. Clearly you really engaged your brain to come up with something that was both witty and constructive. You are the pratt, Im just stating my opinion which is what this review section is intended for. Throwing lame insults is not what it is for.
I already replied to all of your messages here but unfortunately it didnt post so ill sum them up for you.
Julian: To denigrate is to speak disparagingly of in a derogatory manner. I didnt do that to 2001. I simply stated that I didnt like it and found it boring. To say it was utter crap as Bongo says about Prometheus is to denigrate. What I did was to compare. Stating that both films are beautiful but I found 2001 less engaging. That is what reviews are for right? People are allowed to denigrate Prometheus but not a classic like 2001 huh? Incase somebody liked it? Well I loved Prometheus and there are many people denigrating it on here. Go and tell them to be more sensitive.
Also the only people I insulted were the ones stupid enough to ignore all statements that this is NOT an Alien film and to be fair they deserve to be insulted.
Bongo: Im no fanboy. If we were talking about John Carpenters 'The Thing' I would concede to that title but the Alien films are just some films I enjoy. If you didnt like it then write your own review stating why with clear reasons, comparisons and points as I did. I hope people reply to your efforts a little more constructively and with less uninformed insults.
hell-oh-kitteh: Im glad you liked it. My intention was to make sure everyone knew that the vast majority of idiots who ignored what Ridley Scott said about it NOT being an Alien film were wrong and maybe to amuse one or two people too.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2012, 17:17:38 BST
Thank you!! was starting to think it was just me thinking this about the film!!

Posted on 3 Aug 2012, 19:04:53 BST
Mark Pearce says:
Hello D R Price
First suggest you see Sir Ridley's intro to Alien on Anthology where he lets us the humble viewer know that he is in the midst of preparing a prequel to Alien.The fact that he stepped away from that original intention ends up being the disaster that is Prometheus. A truly visionary director.You wouldn't know one of those if he or she stood up and tapped you on the shoulder.

The problem with your review is that it isn't one.I'm not one of those dumb s**ts(eloquent that)who wanted a etc etc.A film with a decent story,characters that make sense and decent acting would have sufficed.Prometheus has none of that and here is something.If Ridley Scott wanted to make such a "different" film then why were all the main characters POORLY DRAWN COPIES Of the original movie.Skerritt v Elba,Fassbender v Holm etc.
For such a visionary director that is just too convenient and plain lazy.The only thing amazing about Prometheus is how many gullible people like you bought into this pile of tripe.As for looking amazing,I'm assuming you are kidding.Pitch Black and dodgy Skyline looked way better than Prometheus and on a fraction of the budget.

2001 was beautiful and boring but at least it wasn't rubbish.

Regards

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2012, 19:34:00 BST
I do think it a bit of a joke that you make these connections between Alien and Prometheus and then state that only idiots would think that Prometheus is a "prequel" to Alien/Aliens etc. Of course it is a prequel and any one that says it isn't is the real idiot. The main problem with the film for me was that it isn't separate enough.The story stands on it's own merits and didn't need the Alien connection. What really spoils the film however is the stupid mid eighties horror movie idiot characters who do stupid things totally against their stated character types. Have "worlds leading scientist" types ever made such stupid dumb ass decisions and choices. I liked the design and visual look but the rest insulted my intelligence. Easily one of the biggest disappointments of the year so far.

Posted on 4 Aug 2012, 21:07:44 BST
The Doctor says:
I won't go into a lengthy discussion about your opinion of the film, I don't agree with it myself, but it's your opinion as you've stated somewhere. What I will say is that it is a prequel. It may not be the direct prequel to Alien, as I believe you're correct about another 2 films being scheduled to bridge the gap between this and the original Alien, but it's still a prequel. How can a film set in the same universe, showing the origins of the aliens, the space jockeys, the corporation link, the ship from lv426 etc etc and set prior to the original not be considered a prequel? Maybe Ridley didn't originally intend it as a prequel and all of us who enjoyed Alien but think this is garbage would love it not to be, but, like the Phantom Menace, this is a prequel (yes, I know Phantom Menace isn't strictly a prequel in so far as it was always meant to be part one, but I'm sure we all know what I mean). You start to explain why it isn't a prequel by giving a lot of evidence showing it is one and your argument that it isn't a prequel involves you pointing out that different rooms in a house aren't the same room. Well, each films in an anthology are DIFFERENT FILMS and the ones that come before the original are known as prequels. Understand, champ?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›