on 28 November 2011
You'd think after keeping hamsters since I was thirteen, I'd know how big a syrian hamster got and just how much room they need. This cage is just too small for a full grown syrian. The way you HAVE to put the cage together is also very restrictive. You can't put it together any other way or it leaves massive holes in the cage. Put it this way, the clue is in the name. They called it PICO...

Where the drinking bottle is, it's about a centimetre off the mezzanine floor it's above and I'm sure the hamsters find it difficult to drink from because it's so low.

The house at the top has no ventilation and when my hamster used to sleep in it, she would come out soaking wet and stinking despite me cleaning it daily. If you're going to sleep in a sweat house you're going to smell bad!

Accessing the hamster is difficult, unless you have tiny hands and MR Tickle arms to reach around the tunnel and two ramps, and as I said putting it together is restrictive. If you hamster doesn't use the sweat box, like my new hamster who is smart enough not to sleep in there, it's wasted space, but you can't take it out as it leaves a gaping hole in the top.

My last hamster only survived a matter of weeks and I'm worried that her sleeping in that little house with no ventilation was what caused her to die so early. Hamsters like dry warm conditions, not damp soggy beds!

The wheel is tiny - too small for a full grown hamster and not only that, but it snapped off the shelf it's attached to. So not only can it not be replaced, but the cage is too small to fit a new one in!

All in all, a terrible terrible product. It might be good for dwarf hamsters, but I've never kept them, and even so that little house is so badly ventilated I wouldn't want to put any animal in there.

Don't buy this cage, is my advice. I'm off to the pet shop now to see if they will sell me one that is fit for purpose.
44 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?