4.0 out of 5 stars The most affordable touchscreen phone ..with a few slight annoyances., 19 Oct. 2009
The Samsung S5230, a.k.a. The Tocco Lite is quite a user-friendly phone with lots of fun features and still manages to stay light on the wallet, making it the ideal first-time touchscreen phone.
Let me say it again, if you've never had a touch phone before and are thinking of taking the plunge, this is THE phone to start with.
If you're like me and wondering between this and the LG COOKIE KP500, I would say this is marginally better than the Cookie, and is only slightly more expensive.

The only catch is that there are a few minor annoyances that keep this from earning a full Five-Star.

The biggest pros are:

1.Has a very nice, large and responsive screen

2."Thumb-optimized" large icons are easy to use without a stylus

2.Slim design looks sexy and sophisticated.

3.Features accelerometer for neat effects like self-rotating picture gallery, tilt-to-slide photos etc.

4.Auto switches to full virtual QWERTY mode for texting, on rotating the screen.

5.Also features handwriting-recognition for texting; too bad there's no stylus included.

6.Excellent haptics give a good sense of 'feel' for the buttons.

7.Features office document readers (word, excel, powerpoint and PDF).

8.Good music player.

9.Nice selection of widgets and the triple homescreen means you don't even need to get into the menu for most common tasks.

Cons:

1.There's no wifi, 3G or GPS.
I don't particularly call them 'disadvantages' because at this price, you must be crazy to expect these!

2.No auto-focus on camera (despite the elaborate shooting modes it has)

3.No stylus on the Europe version. (fyi, a slightly different version of the same phone sold in Asia comes with the stylus!)

4.The supplied disc is a pathetic load of rubbish that wouldn't even start on Vista (SP1). You'd probably need to download 'PC Studio' off the net.

Now having said that, there are quite a few annoyances I've had using this phone (the ones that kept me from giving 5-stars.):

1.No timed profiles (Nokia users would miss this); and no way to rename profiles either.

2.The default keypad sounds are awful - they sound like toys. But if you're used to Samsung phones, you probably won't notice a difference.

3.While messaging, there is no way to set T9 'on' by default. Yes I know this is only one more key to press, but we're used to seeing it on all the time.

4.Terrible sunlight readability. I'm probably used to great sunlight usage from my old Nokia, but this is especially poor because the screen is also your input device.

5.MS office files are supported but large files don't open.

6.When locked, the display blacks-out completely and you need to press a button (any button) to see the time or to check if you've missed any calls.

7.The browser is quite basic; many popular sites like facebook, myspace etc. are supported only on the 'mobile' version of the site; youtube videos play, but again, only on the mobile version and videos stream on the phone's media player rather than the site itself.

8.The phone is horribly loud:
I know a lot of people think this is a good thing, but its not if you work at an office. Even at minimum volume It is still slightly loud. I had to actually edit all my ringtones to reduce the volume before reloading it to the phone to use it.
If you like loud phones, then good for you!

There's also a few more things I didn't like, but I'm guessing its because I'm not used to touchscreens, and aren't necessarily a fault of the phone.

The bottom line is, if you're looking for a relatively inexpensive way to go the touchscreen way, this is your phone!

Edit:
14March, 2010.
Having used this phone for a few months now, I'm starting find the poor sunlight legibility a growing pain.
In bright sunlight, its nearly impossible to see what's on the display (unless you shield it) which is very inconvenient - especially for a touchscreen.
Bottom line is, if you're going to be outdoors a lot, you can expect the same problems. Otherwise, its a good, solid phone and I haven't experienced any problems, freezes or anything so far.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Dec 2009, 09:04:51 GMT
Rob says:
Horribly loud? thanks, I will buy one right away. As a full time carer, the "press for emergency" call button of several people get routed to my phone and I need a phone that is impossible to miss. Loud is good!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Dec 2009, 16:16:18 GMT
GizmoGeek says:
Yup...like I said, Loud is good for a lot of people - unfortunately I'm not one of them. I'd rather prefer if my phone does NOT wake up everybody in my office :)

Posted on 30 Nov 2010, 14:32:32 GMT
sharon says:
Thank you for such an in depth review, it's given me food for thought on purchasing....

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2011, 20:54:33 GMT
Hey, thanks for the extremely in-depth review, just out of interest, why are there people sleeping in your office?

Posted on 6 Feb 2011, 22:34:18 GMT
John Moran says:
thanks for the info regarding loud ring tone its just what im looking for just wish other reviewers would mention ring tone volume to my mind it is quite an important feature

Posted on 8 Oct 2011, 21:17:51 BST
MoniqueH. says:
This is probably one of the best phone reviews I've read so far :) Thanks fr such a detailed analysis...I'm a Nokia user so I'm not to sure if I want to get it simply because of that issue with the screen near enough going invisible in the sunlight. That would bug the life out of me!! Thanks for sharing the pros and especially the cons, it's much appreciated!

Posted on 20 Dec 2011, 13:37:21 GMT
glodavy says:
Thanks for the in depth review, bril, best I have read. Samsung should pay you. I bet a fare few people have purchased this phone on your review. I am going to. One question (this is probably me being a bit thick where mobiles are concerned what is sim free?
Regards Glodavy

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Dec 2011, 03:20:35 GMT
GizmoGeek says:
Hi glodavy,
Thanks for your comments. "Sim free" means its not locked to any carrier or contract and you're free to use any SIM you like.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›