on July 20, 2009
The book revolves around 17 year old Mia, she has a loving family; great friends and a boyfriend who she truly loves. Mia has decisions to make about her future; she is a talented cellist and there is the possibility that she will have won a place to study at Julliard in New York, leaving her life in Oregon behind. However, Mia's choices are vastly compromised by a cold February morning and a snowy road; she is left having to face an even harder decision all on her own.
I don't want to give the story away in my review but I do want to stress that I thought that this book was amazing. I literally couldn't put it down, I read it in one ago as I was totally absorbed into the story and the characters. I think that it is possibly one of the best young adult books that I have ever read; so many sensitive subjects are explored to their very limits. I loved how Gayle Forman painted the picture of Mia's relationship with her parents and also her boyfriend Adam. By building this up gradually the reader is left knowing how hard it is for Mia to make her decision at the end of the book. Ultimately this is a tale of love and loss; it really does make you take a step back and realise just how lucky we all are and how many things we take for granted every single day.
This review in no way does this book justice; there is so much that I would like to talk about further but I think that I would end up giving the story away. Gayle Forman has a wonderful website which probably describes the book in a much better way then I have; I thought If I Stay was a wonderful book though and I'm still thinking about it days after finishing the last page.
0Comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?