on 27 December 2006
I was stuck on a coach for two 6 hour stints over the Christmas period, and thought I should get myself something that I could sink my teeth into. This fit the bill perfectly; an old-fashioned turn-based strategy game that felt quite reminiscent of something I might've played on my old 486 or PII. Which may make it sound a bit rusty, but it's far from it.

As was mentioned above, the campaigns are pretty big, with the tutorial alone taking up the lion's share of my trip. What they've managed to squeeze in here is superb, with just enough options for the different aspects of the game to give it a depth beyond anything else I've played on the DS to date.

The graphics and sound are nice, with the little animated battles in the top screen adding a sense of action to proceedings. The touch screen lends itself well to turn-based strategy, and helps to give the feel of a general on the battlefield. And the AI, while nothing to give a hardcore gamer the chills, is still enough to keep a schmoe like me occupied.

All in all a very worthwhile addition to your games library if you're a fan of strategy games. I'm having a great time with it. A word of warning however: if you're a dip-in-dip-out kinda gamer, this probably isn't for you. You do have the flexibility to save at any point, but you'll still want to give it at least an hour each sitting.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.