3.0 out of 5 stars great on creativity, impossible to read handwriting, 27 Jan. 2009
This review is from: The Creative License: Giving Yourself Permission to be the Artist You Truly Are (Paperback)
this book is full of creativity, ideas, drawings, scetches, text - handwritten text.
The font used in this book in handwriting in Capitals. I did not have the patience to read the whole thing because of the handwritten style. And that was a disappointment, because the contents had many interessting chapters - among others how to express my heart and find my own style.
I wish this book would be reprinted in times new roman font, and I would buy it again and work through it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 May 2009 16:49:29 BDT
penny says:
It's a shame to be put off by the handwriting font because, as pointed out by another reviewer, it does force you to slow down, pay attention and even to put the book down and draw! It is really best read and acted apon in bite sized chunks, then the 'handwriting' is less of a problem. I personally found it lent an intimacy to the book, like reading someone's journal, rather than a text book.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2009 12:50:23 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 3 Jul 2009 12:50:40 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2009 12:51:01 BDT
Niels says:
Good point Penny. I personally haven't read the book but reading the above comment it immediately sprung to my mind that the author's intention could be to make us break out of a mold. Sure, fonts like Times or Arial are easy to read but doesn't the rule that textbooks have to be written in Times severely restricts us as humans. Don't we loose our flexibility, our ability to stretch ourselves, think out of the box, get creative? Just a thought...

Posted on 16 Jan 2010 08:23:58 GMT
Carys says:
I bought this book for my sister..with a view to get it for myself also.
I was surprised the text was completely 'handwritten',
and would much rather the text was plain. I found it quite frustrating and off-putting.
I can't decide whether or not to buy it for myself.

Posted on 5 Jan 2014 14:57:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jan 2014 18:48:23 GMT
A. H. Ford says:
I understand your dissatisfaction. I know some may say it's a small niggle but something as important as written communucation needs to be comfortable for all. I've just given up on an American novel that was recommended to me. The reason I gave up is the non existent punctuation. I'm not sure whether it was written that way or whether it's a consequence of it being printed in China where maybe the printer isn't aware of the importance of punctuation in English.
All I know is, trying to read the book became a chore rather than a pleasure.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Apr 2014 12:35:29 BDT
Very interesting comment. I am in the process of writing my own book on my own creative journey, and I want to write it by hand, for the very reason that you say - I want to be able to stop and draw as and when the mood takes me. Nice to see that thought put down on paper, thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2014 16:03:11 BDT
A. H. Ford says:
There are a great many books on the market that are basically the author's journal in print it seems. I've bought several of them because I like to know what makes people tick :o) I've also bought copies of well known artist's sketches that have no or little written explanation. I like both those who give their secrets away and the puzzle of trying to understand how from the silent ones.
I do wonder how long it will be before instructions are done to death and people finally let go of their fear of perceived failure and just go for it in their own way.

Good luck with your book!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›