5.0 out of 5 stars First Proper Review!, 11 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Turok (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Firstly can I say I've had this game since Saturday and it came out Friday - so I've had it 2 days and played it a lot since then...unlike anyone who has written a review so far and left atrocious feedback for a fantastic game. Before I tell you why this game is the next game you should own let me say that, yes the demo was bad...the demo isn't in the main game as it appears in the demo. The demo was slow, with few dinosaurs etc etc.

Yes so all the people who have written reviews are right about this. But I own the real FULL game, so:

SO A REVIEW OF THE FULL TUROK EXPERIENCE!
The graphics are brilliant with shimmering lighting and buffering effects that would make Gears of War tremble.

The gameplay is NOT sluggish OR slow like the demo was. It did say on the demo it wasn't the finished package yet some people think it is!

There are LOTS of dinosaurs and lizards and I have killed more dinosaurs than enemy men. Period.

The levels are split up into different sections so although only 10 levels, they are big. Much bigger than say Lost Planet.

There are no stupid boss battles after each stage like Lost Planet had, and at one point you have to kill a T-Rex. You can do this with duel-wielded machine guns, an RPG, a mini gun or a pistol. The better weapon you have the easier it is that's all. No rubbish in some games where a pistol wouldn't do anything to a T-Rex. Quite the opposite.

Next, the weapons, like I have said there are a nice selected variety from the pistol to the flamethrower, which I must say in all honesty is the easiest and best design of a flamethrower I have ever seen in a game. Most weapons can be duel-wielded.

Multi-player - brilliant. Imagine Farcry mixed with the weapons of COD4 and with dinosaurs hunting out everything. Amazing! Trust me, I love halo 3, but Turok online seriously tests some FPS games out there!

The story is great too with an interesting plot - quite revealing at times!

More to the point I am SICK of people writing reviews based on demos. Why oh why? Is it the Full game? No, so why do it? 6 people have reviewed this game and although one person put a 5 star review it has the average of a 3 star (hopefully this will change after my review!), and quite honestly this game deserves a lot better than that.

Sorry if I've had a rant, but I can't express better than this. Overall this is one of the best games in my collection, which isn't massive. Turok has brought me off Call of Duty 4 as it's that good.

Neil.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Feb 2008, 18:22:52 GMT
Love your reveiw, still may not get it as i'm not a huge fan of FPS (The Darkness was the Last one I really liked). But I totally agree with you on the pointlessness of reveiwing games on there Demo or in worse cases a trailer! Some people are such idiots!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2008, 19:47:21 GMT
Neil Wood says:
Thank you Adam, I'm glad you liked my review. I just don't like the fact people leave bad feedback for a game they haven't played (i.e only played the demo), it brings the rating down and it puts people off. Anyway everybody likes different things and Turok may not be for you. How is the Darkness? I've never played that.

Neil

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Feb 2008, 01:08:07 GMT
Fully agree with your rant! Their should also be some sort of fanboy censorship...

And the Darkness is a must buy for any fan of story driven FPS.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Feb 2008, 08:25:07 GMT
The darkness is brilliant the game play, the cut scenes, even the loading sequences are pretty good. Worth every penny, especially as you can get it cheap now pre owned.

Posted on 19 Feb 2008, 14:07:08 GMT
A. Kaynama says:
Very good review, Neil, and 100% behind you re the time-wasters reviewing demos. They are part of the 'look-at-me' crowd who just want some attention. I have a question for you. Last FPS I bought was GoW (which to me was the highlight of all the games I have owned. As an 'older' player with less time on my hands than others, I tend to like to pick my games carefully as I had lots of games gathering dust when I owned the original X-Box. In your humble opinion, how does it stack against GoW? You mentioned some graphical comparisons but in terms of gameplay and orginality?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2008, 15:20:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Feb 2008, 15:24:09 GMT
Neil Wood says:
Hi A. Kaynama, thanks for your question it is original in that the Turok series created the idea of dinosaurs and men together with a plot on a deserted planet/island. It does this very well.

I'll tell you a little more about it. The graphics are good but then some people wouldn't be satisfied. It is like Gears of war in that it is quality not quantity if that makes sense. The duel wielding system allows great fun with say 2X sub machine guns - now this is fun whie ripping through a raptor for example.

It is like GOW in that you are mostly with a squad for the game and only occasionally on your own - normally you have at least one person with you. This is useful - especially as they will spot an enemy infantry man or dinosaur before you!

It is original but only as far as the whole 'dinosaur' concept goes - being a FPS game it isn't original. There are no weapons that make you go "Wow, I wish Gears of War had that in the 5th stage!"

But on the defense it has an exellent flamethrower.

It depends what you want for a game. If you fancy a good run through game like GOW and might play it again now and again then this is for you. However I don't pick it up every day if you know what I mean? The multiplayer is still starting up - so sometimes it is hard to find a match - but this is increasingly rare.

It's a good solid game - it tries to be different in the way of aiming goes - for example it FEELS different when using the Right stick to aim than it does on GOW or COD4.

A good game - with it's faults but great fun. I've completed it and enjoyed it. In comparison to GOW in all honesty is not as good - but I love the conept of 'dinosaurs' etc and so I try every game like this - I personally can't wait for a Free roamiung dinosaur game where you go around hunting dinosaurs or have loads of side missions on a dinosaur infested world for example...imagine just cause but with dinosaurs everywhere...This Turok game is very lineaur though and is it's biggest downside, yet it IS fun and worth trying.

And for the price it is - you could get it - complete it and then sell it if you don't want to hold onto it for the multiplayer.

I hope this helps. If there is anything I can advise you on please let me know - however, try and be as specific as possible.

Neil Richard Wood.

Ps - sorry if there is any spelling mistakes or grammatical errors - I've quickly put this answer together and haven't had the time to check it properly.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2008, 15:12:21 GMT
Isnt gears of war a third person shooter in that you can see your character like Lost planet and Ghost Recon etc?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2008, 08:56:16 GMT
Neil Wood says:
Hi Adam - yes you are correct, sorry Turok is a First person view shooting game, sorry GoW IS a third person shooter. I should have been specific.

Neil

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2008, 22:26:56 GMT
A. Kaynama says:
That's great stuff, thanks. I will give it a go, but to my surprise, I received a copy of The Darkness by her indoors for my birthday the other day and I have not been able to put it down. It certainly is something a bit different and for me there is no other game like it. A bit weird mind you but great fun. As soon as this game is finished, its Turok then on to GoW2 for the end of the year.

Posted on 28 Feb 2008, 22:42:04 GMT
Mrs. Taylor says:
Neil, Sorry for asking such a petty question, but does Turok feature 4 player splitscreen, thanks
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›