on 9 February 2012
I have not read Straw Dogs, nor am I really inclined to accept Tallis's judgement of it as fair, but it seems to me that this book is to Humanitis as Straw Dogs is to Neuromania.

If you decide to read this book you must be prepared to endure one of the more irritating styles I have ever encountered. Tallis wastes much time sneering at the idiocy of all the intellectuals caught up in the whirlwind of Neuromania. It is painful. When he does get around to academic argument, it can be rather good. Having said that, some of his philosophical arguments seem rather flawed to me but perhaps I was missing something as I was not much inclined to re-read any more of his writing than I felt I had to. I also wish he would leave out some of his clunkier metaphors; it's almost as if he is trying to persuade the reader of Humanitis purely by virtue of how flowery he, a scientist of all people, can make his language.

I think I might try and put this book to bed now, 50 pages to go. It is safe to say I have not enjoyed the book itself, but I have enjoyed the food for thought it has provided me with, especially seeing as I was probably a Neuromaniac, by RT's definition, when I began the book. I think this is probably an important book purely by virtue of its creation; perhaps it has paved the way for a better one of its kind.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.