on 31 May 2003
I bought this book without even having the faintest idea of the subject matter. I am an avid James Patterson fan and was eager to pick up his new novel. I particularly like the fact that his novels are based in the present era. I find this helps to easily relate to his characters and visualise the scenery at hand.
Imagine my dismay when I began The Jester and discovered that it was based in mideval times! I was utterly disappointed and perplexed with Patterson.
Where had the slick characters of Alex Cross and Gary Soneji disappeared too? In their place instead a peasant from rural France in the 11th Century? I could not toss the book to one side fast enough.
Still, I decided to listen to the tiny voice of reason in my head urging me to not write the book off before I had given it chance. I took the plunge and boy am I glad that I did. In true Patterson style the book masterfully seduced me from the beginning. Before I could resist any further I was hooked! As I read on I began to love the historical factor in the book. It only added to more suspense and mystery. By the time I had finished there was not doubt in my mind that Patterson had done it again. The Jester is a winner and belongs right up there with the best. Thank you Mr Patterson and Mr Gross.
What's this?