on 20 August 2010
There is no doubt that this is a lovely piece of book production - handsome, thoughtfully laid out, splendid photographs and feels good in the hand. Produced by Artisan a splendid American publisher. David Tanis works with Alice Waters at Chez Panisse and he is praised by Paula Wolfert - you know you are in good hands.

And there are some lovely recipes here (arranged by season conveniently) - particularly for me some of the accompaniments - Watercress, Beet and Egg Salad, tomato bread, crostini with ricotta, deconstructed salad nicoise. The main dishes and desserts are all appealing too - and not complex - but very dependent on top quality ingredients. It is a book produced by a man who clearly understands and loves food - I would love to live near his restaurant.

So why am I left feeling a little disappointed. I guess it is two things: it is a lot of book for relatively few recipes (I am one of those who would trade all the personal stuff and life history for more recipes) and many the recipes are excellent versions of relatively common dishes. So far - and I haven't completed reading it - I have found a lot of versions of dishes I know that I will cook with pleasure - I haven't yet found that killer new dish (and maybe I am wrong to be looking for it).

But it is absolutely worth 4 stars, I will cook from it (tomorrow actually) and I do recommend it.
0Comment| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details