1.0 out of 5 stars The equivalent of an extremely stupid pretty blonde, 16 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Planon DocuPen RC800 - Hand-held scanner - 400 dpi - USB (Personal Computers)
I cannot begin to describe how disappointed I am with this product.

When I first heard of it, I thought it was a dream come true. I am a researcher and often have access to documents which I cannot take home to scan (archives, maps, etc.). My previous methods were either lugging my bulky flatbed scanner around with me and praying to find an electric plug, or taking pictures with a camera (blurry results even with an SLR). So this handheld scanner would've solved a big problem.
Despite all the negative reviews on the net (complaints about cheap presentation, slow speed, constant shutting down, etc.; I recommend you read up before trying to buy it) I figured I'd give it a shot. I could put up with all of that for the sake of having something portable. I was sooo wrong. The product does live up to all its negative reviews and more!! You would've thought that Planon had actually improved its product (it has been on the market for more than a year). But No, they didn't!

So to sum things up: The scanner is meant to be independent, small and rechargeable. You turn it on, swipe it over the scanned material at moderate speed, the motion is detected and the scanner is turned on, it saves the image to an internal memory and shuts down. Afterwards you plug it into your PC and download the images for saving/ processing.
After trying it, the only positive thing I have to say: it is indeed a very small and nicely shaped machine. But read below before you decide it's good enough as a show-off tool.
The negatives: looks too cheap for its worth; feels too cheap for its worth; acts like a 99p child's toy: the general operation speed is very slow, slow to start up, very slow to transmit pictures to computer, very very slow to format. The interface looks very outdated (something from 1995), and has very few options. The scanner would scan only one picture before shutting down, and not without problems. I did not get even one satisfactory image scanned by this thing. The motion detector would not operate until the scanner was moving too fast and by then it would be too late to try again, as it would shut down moments later. It would not save all of my scans even after installing a 2GB memory card. The best scan I got was half an A4 page; with only 2cm long, distorted strips of scanned documents most of the time. I still can't figure out if the product was mal-functional or just mal-designed.
After 3 very frustrating days of trying over and over again (I thought it was my fault at the beginning), I returned the scanner for a refund.
For now, and until a similar operational scanner is available on the market, I got myself a Canon LIDE90. It is flatbed, but very small (26x38cms), light, and is powered via USB. So carrying it is like carrying a laptop. It is a more bulky solution, but it Works!

I would've given negative stars for this product if I could. Avoid like the plague!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Oct 2008 21:28:48 BDT
I bought a RC700 hoping that this would enable me to scan newspapers and documents as I work on my PhD. It turned out to be rubbish. I was hoping that I would benefit from the RC800, having read this review I will not waste my money. I wonder of the other review is written be someone with a vested interest if promoting this product?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2009 19:21:18 GMT
Jan Shaw says:
That's a strong possibility. That person has no other posts.

Posted on 9 Jan 2011 06:55:55 GMT
Thank you Jan Shaw. I was thinking about buyiing this, but now will not. But it WILL be wonderful when technology can efficiently give us such a product.
In these modern times I wish the stores could just email their receipts at point of sale instead of providing little slips of paper. I run a small business and always have wallet and bag full of slips of paper to (sometime) scan, sort and digitally file.

Posted on 2 Feb 2011 10:56:01 GMT
I have an out of date C-pen which works slowly but quite well, but is not compatible with windows 7, so I am looking for a replacement. Thanks for for making your criticisms properly item specific and thus saving me a lot of money.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›