on 7 August 2013
I first heard of Robert Low's Oathsworn series from a recommendation at the end of `The Caspian Gates', the fourth of Harry Sidebottom's excellent Warrior Of Rome series (which I'd strongly recommend). I was swayed by Sidebottom's recommendation partly because he's a historian and outstanding writer himself and partly because he admires authors whose work I've very much enjoyed (Patrick O Brian and Bernard Cornwell, for example). Sidebottom describes Low's series as "Wonderful" and "The very best of Viking novels."

I like historical fiction but I also read serious history, so I like fiction to feel right and not completely over the top with characters mowing down swathes of opponents without receiving more than the occasional scratch. Robert Low writes well and there's grittiness to his work that makes the story feel more real. He's good on character and not afraid to kill characters off who I liked and wanted to know more about, which is both brave and slightly disappointing, but it avoids you knowing that all the leading characters are immortal and couldn't possibly come to harm.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I've ordered the next one. One small complaint: there were one or two occasions when I struggled to follow closely what was happening, despite reading the text more than once. It's a small complaint about a book I liked and enjoyed.

I don't like reviews telling me too much about the story so I won't do that. Briefly, the book is set in the Norse world of 965AD. The young protagonist, Orm, joins a ship of warriors and raiders (the Oathsworn).
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details