on 23 April 2012
The Hornettek Enterprise 4X is the ideal answer to a niggling problem that I have. How to access many disks at once? I have a number of SATA hard drives which I need access to - I store photos mostly, but some video and work stuff. And I like to keep backup copies. However, as the years have gone by I have acquired a mis-mash of internal and external disks. I tried getting caddies for the internal disks but then I have so many power supplies and cables coming from the disk its crazy.

I started looking at multi bay enclosures - two and four bay cases, but nothing really sprang out at me - most of the cases use RAID and are very expensive.

Fortunately, I found the 4 bay Hornettek case while searching on Amazon, and what a stroke of luck that was.

Firstly, its very inexpensive. I paid around £90 for it. Secondly, it has no RAID gubbins included. This means that I can do what I like with my disks, not what the case manufacturer wants me to do.

If I want 4 disks in the case, I put 4 disks in. If I want to mirror two disks, I can do that via my PC's software.

Secondly, and a nice surprise, it has a USB3.0 and eSATA connection - I have upgraded my PC to USB3.0 but I believe eSATA is faster. Anyhow, there is a choice should you need it.

Thirdly, installing disks is really easy - it takes just a second to pop a disk into the caddy, and push the caddy into the Exnterprise 4x. You can screw the disk in if you wish, but I'm a bit lazy and change the disks a lot so I don't bother with this.

The case has a nice big fan which you can switch off - I leave it on when using it - doesn't make much noise and I think with 4 disks, there is a lot of heat so prefer to keep it on. The aluminium `wrap around' case is really nicely designed and looks good on my desk.

In summary, I would really recommend this enclosure to anyone who wants to store and access masses of data conveniently, or someone who has lots of old sata disks they want to use. It's a great product, at a fantastic price and offers excellent performance.
0Comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details