on 1 March 2011
Being a typical "horsey girl", and a showjumper at that, I could really get into Vicky's equine world and relate to her. However it was Declan's parts, which intregued me most, and kept me entertained. Having half my family living in Northern Ireland, I recognised the places and slang that he used which made me feel more included in the story. The writing was excellent, and the descriptions of the horses were lovely. At first, I found Vicky a very dislikable character, I found it amazing she couldn't spend any time with her horse except to ride him, so I was secretly glad when her love interest dumped her for being too much of a "princess". She slightly redeemed herself by the end though. I also loved hearing Declan describe everyday equine equipment from his outsiders view ("a big sandy field"- to us a menage, or "it was like a jacked, but with more buckles"- describing putting on a horses rug). So if you are not into horses, never fear, this book will be fine for you, the author has cleverly used Declan's ignorance to her advantage, so other characters can explain things to him. All the teenagers in the book were believeable, from their slang to their crash diets. Spoilt Vicky's inner monologue was also great, saying everything that little selfish part of us wants to, but daren't!
I was reccomended this by an equally horsey friend, so I was a bit dissapointed with the showjumping/competing aspect of the book. It describes a few shows, but not in much detail, so you don't get the baited breath feeling whilst reading through each jump in a round, praying they go clear. Or maybe thats just me :-)In other ways, such as the family drama it excelled itself, as you can see from all the 5* reviews!
The ending also seemed a little too perfect for me, Vicky acted horribly and therefore lost everything she loved, it seemed a bit convinient that she should get it all back in a flash as soon as she showed some redeeming qualities. Saying that I still think its a excellent book and would reccomend it to anyone.
What's this?