on 15 April 2013
There are some books that you come across which you know are powerhouses in the literary world and which I would love to say I really enjoyed, but the fact is that they merely serve as proof that I am no literary critic. Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall would be a modren example for me, and The Inheritors is another.

I not only found the language of the book difficult, I also didn't feel that it added anything and instead found particular phrases repetitive and annoying to the extent that seeing the line "I have a picture" coming along caused a sense of dread. I can recall other books written in slightly challenging styles for effect that really worked for me. Ridley Walker by Russell Hoban for example or The Gospel According To Jesus Christ by Jose Saramango, but Golding's book just irritated me for the most part.

i have read about what i was supposed to be able to get from this (insight into the dreadful things that human beings are etc), but this was just hidden too obscurely for me by the writing style. I couldn't get any pictures in my own head of the Neanderthals, the Homo Sapiens, the place, nothing, and for me that made it hard to get much from. I struggled my way to the end and put the book down with a real sense of relief that I had finished and, not for the first time, a nagging question as to why I had bothered to soldier on to the end.
6 people found this helpful