5.0 out of 5 stars Epic gameplay and amazing story make this one of the PS3's finest, 18 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Dead Space 2 - Limited Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
I ordered this game thinking it would be a fun, if somewhat brainless 3rd person shooter. I was looking for something that could scare and shock me... this game did that and so much more besides. Here's a breakdown of my thoughts on Dead Space 2 (Limited Edition):

Gameplay - EPIC!! The controls are perfect in this game (having never played the first I cannot compare the two), with the innovative idea of having all on screen information such as health, stasis and the inventory within the actual game as part of the suits, etc. rather than glued on the screen as in most games. In terms of weapons, eat your heart out. There are quite a few weapons, all of which are wildly different form each other (with unique pros/cons). I personally love the Plasma Cutter (a devastating laser gun that is the first weapon found in the game) and the Force Gun (simply because it saved me in a few horrendously gruesome situations). A cool feature is the upgrade system which is divided by the in-game Store and Bench. Using Power nodes picked up when playing the game you can upgrade your weapons (making them even more awesome), of course this is vital when playing through on the harder difficulties. The in-game currency can be used to purchase new weapons and new suits for your player to wear, each with their own special bonuses. I would rate gameplay as 5/5

Story - The story was not something I was bothered about since I never played the first game. However, I watched the 'previously on dead Space' video which gave me enough information to play through this second game and still enjoy the story... and what a story! I started playing the game for the thrills and scares but the plot really kept me interested. I won't spoil anything but I must say there were a few twists and turns that I didn't think of, but mostly I was surprised at how real the characters seemed, I really felt involved in their troubles. I would rate the story as an amazing 5/5 (on par with both Red Dead Redemption and Batman: Arkham City in my mind)

Multi player - Now this is not something that interested me really, and it was the only aspect of the game that seemed to fall short. With odd game modes and a rather drab style the multi player bored me after a few simple games (although it is fun to be a Necromporh for a while). Some players are humans, others are necromorhs with the main mode being little more than a team death match. With not much to do and little teamwork necessary this mode felt tacked on to the rest of the game, hopefully this aspect can be improved if ever another game in the series is launched. Multi player is a poor 2/5.

Overall - There are scares galore in this game, with the Necromorphs (bad guys) arriving in some devastating variations (yes, I'm talking about those stupid kids), but the epic weapons and grand locations (particularly the zero-g bit's) ensure this is not you standard 3rd person action/horror game. I would recommend picking this game up for 11 hours (that's how long it took me) of awesome story and epic gameplay, even if the multiplayer aspect is ignored. One of this generations finest games.

PS: There is a New Game+ mode that allows you to replay the game on another difficulty using all the weapons and upgrades that you gathered the first time around, right from the start. This would easily add another 10 hours to the game (plus there are two new suits to find in this second play through)... even if you leave the multilayer aspect untouched.

PPS: GET THE LIMITED EDITION!!!! It contains Dead Space Extraction which is a Wii game ported over to use the Playstation Move (or normal controller if you do not have a Move) and it is insanely fun. More of a prequel to the other Dead Space games, this is the best on-rails shooter to hit the Wii or PS3 and it's not to be missed.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]