on 3 February 2012
I've only ever heard Arrival on scratchy old vinyl, so was looking forward to hearing these tracks in a much better format. I was not disappointed! I note the comments from other reviewers regarding the sound quality, but I must say I cannot disagree more. The quality is superb. I would perhaps suggest that a better sound system would make a difference to those that have had issues - playing it very loudly through my DVD surround system caused me no problems at all, and it sounded fantastic - infinitely better than the original vinyl. I have played it through my laptop though, and some of the quality is lost, but not by very much at all, and quite honestly I'd expect this from any recording. This for me just goes to show that it's the sound system at fault, not the sound quality of the CD. Listeners should probably also remember that these tracks were recorded decades ago in mono. Recording technology back then was nowhere near the quality that we have come to expect from today's recordings. With all this taken into account, I would urge anyone to buy this CD, listen to it on a decent system, and be awed and inspired by the amazing voices and musicians that are Arrival.
As for the tracks themselves, the harmonies are wonderful, and the melodies and lyrics dazzling. The CD is crammed with incredible tracks, and several will make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. My personal favourite is 'I will Survive'. It makes me tingle all over, and in my opinion is one of the greatest pieces of music of all time.
Arrival - pure talent. I cannot recommend this collection highly enough.
22 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?