on 31 May 2012
I have a Sony Vaio VPCEB1ZOE which cost a fair whack of money but infuriatingly has the most disappointing of built-in stereo speakers (the issue of why laptop manufacturers do such a lousy job with their speakers isn't for discussing right now...).

I like to listen to music whilst tapping away online but couldn't stand the tinny strains and so have been scouring the reviews here on Amazon.

I liked the look of the Logitech Z205 speaker and saw this as a potential solution but the reviews are mixed and I find it hard to ignore those who give negative feedback. I decided to take a risk as it's easy enough to make a return.

The speaker is small - about the width of a TV remote control and maybe two/thirds of the length. It has a spring clip (quite like a womans hair grip) which allows it to sit snugly along the top of my laptop screen without obscuring the built-in webcam or the screen itself. It connects to a USB socket via a short 2ft cable.

The volume can be controlled in two ways - via buttons on top of the unit or by using your Ctrl and F3/F4 keys and an on-screen icon appears which shows you how quiet/loud you have it adjusted to.

For normal volume levels, I have it at four bars (of 20) and this is loud enough for all purposes such as listening to music and watching videos online etc.

For when a particularly good track starts playing (a bit of Timbaland maybe...) you can quickly max the volume and it is pleasantly loud, indeed, it can be heard upstairs. I can't imagine a situation in normal domestic use where you would possibly need for it to be any louder than this.

I'm not an audiophile, but the quality of the sound is superb with enough bass and range of tone (at least, enough for my preferences). The downloaded software allows you to make adjustments for enhancements so you can tinker away until you get closer to your own preferences.

I'm really pleased with this little speaker, so much so that if I broke it by accident, I would buy this same unit again.

On that basis, I'd recommend it to family and friends and so I offer my recommendation to you, dear reader :)
70 people found this helpful