on 12 December 2011
This book is real handy to have and a great incentive to really live your life to the fullest. The title is sometimes a bit sad, because it makes me feel the pressure of time, but the description of the places I have to go to makes me want to pack my bags immediately and get going.
While some of the places are a bit too far for me to safely say that I'll have enough money to visit them one day, it really makes me feel good that I can already tick at least 30 of them off the list already.
The only thing that is missing is a more balanced out set of countries, because there are some Eastern European countries with a lot more to them than what is recommended in the book (I recently went on a Eastern European tour to Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine and Serbia) and it is surely a reflection of the most popular tourist places, rather than a reflection of the places that are actually breathtaking. I guess the problem is that the world has thousands, not just one thousand places worth visiting, and making a top is surely a harrowing and extremely difficult process.
That being the case, I think that most of the suggestions are fresh and innovative and go beyond the mere touristy places, so it is a good guide to have and to keep somewhere in sight as a reminder of how much we can do with our time!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink