on 14 July 2003
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club have produced the single best album of 2001 with this, their debut album. Each of the 11 tracks is a superb blend of rhythmic beats, thoughtful lyrics and excellent guitar riffs.
From the opening track, the album is a class act. I first noticed BRMC on the release of ‘Spread Your Love’ which has an unforgettable riff and one of my favourite musical openings to a rock and roll song. The fact that the a track of this type can have such a quality beat without having overpowering drums or drowned vocals shows that BRMC have not made the same mistakes as other recent rock bands.
To my surprise and pleasure, on listening to the album, I found that ‘Spread Your Love’ was not in fact their best song. Indeed, such is the quality and balance evident in every track that I am compelled to say that every song is brilliant in its own right.
Listening to the album from track 1 to track 11 is the best way to listen to it. There are few albums in which every track complements the others to the extent that this can be recommended. Each track varies enough to claim its own identity and after a year and a half of it almost possessing my stereo, I am still waiting for any of the tracks to bore me. Apparently, that day will never come.
The most remarkable track on the album is ‘Rifles’. Don’t get me wrong, ‘Whatever happened to my rock n’ roll’ on any other album would doubtless eclipse all others, but the epic ‘Rifles’ is a monumental musical effort. The eerie 1.5 minute opening with vocal harmonies repeating ‘I’m gonna take my time’ may seem a little bizarre at first, but they comprise the necessary prologue to the overall track. The guitar riff that follows is sensational and the lyrics stir even the most dormant imaginations. The best musical 7 minutes since Radiohead’s ‘Paranoid Android’ and for anyone who has even a vague taste for rock n’ roll, this is essential listening.
The only reason it has taken me a year and a half between buying the album and writing this review is that I do not feel that my words alone can do it justice. I urge you to buy this album before any other. Listen to it five or six times and before you know it, BRMC will inhabit your CD player.
0Comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?