on 4 March 2011
I had my Squeezebox for Christmas (though I bought it...), so have now used it for over 2 months. This is my experience.

I had considered getting a DAB radio for my hifi, but as the reception is poor where I live, a DAB aerial would need to be installed on my roof. A Squeezebox seemed like a good alternative - in fact a far superior alternative with BBC iPlayer for radio programmes, LastFM, countless radio stations from around the world plus the ability to play music off my laptop.

When it works, it's great - in fact it's superb. I can do all the above- my favourite is LastFM tags - set up playing say, "female vocalist" tag (there are lots of others) and leave it playing all day an interesting mix of music. It's a great way of discovering new artists.

BUT. And this is a big BUT, a huge, enormous, mega-sized BUT. The Squeezebox is NOT like a radio. I expected to always be able to simply switch it on and listen - just like with my tuner. I first realised this isn't the case when I once turned it on and it insisted on doing a software update, no option to listen to Radio 4 and delay it. So 20 minutes of download, updating and PC-type palaver. However, this isn't the worst aspect. Often, for days at a time I turn it on and get error message "Service has been interrupted by host - then a scribbled text with squeezebox.com in the middle of it". I try to connect to my laptop, control it from my laptop, faff around ... mo luck. Suddenly it will work again. Then it won't. It is EXTREMELY frustrating, and the help is useless - I hate being directed to a blog help site - I want real help from Logitech. I often simply turn on my tuner with half a dozen channels as I can't bear the struggle to get it to work. It currently plays 2 seconds of LastFM tracks then moves on to the next, I have no idea why, and I've paid £3 for a month's access to extra LastFM functionality. So my advice is - expect trouble.

I'm on the verge of returning it as not fit for purpose.

I consider myself computer literate - don't buy one for anyone who isn't, and possibly only buying one for a real tech nerd who likes the constant IT challenge.
66 Comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.