42 of 45 people found the following review helpful
This review is from: Canon EOS 650D Digital SLR Camera - Black (Inc. 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens Kit) (Camera)
I recently upgraded from a Canon EOS 400D to the 650D, and I love my new camera. I had previously been very much content with my 400D, but the 650D has many great features which make it a pleasure to use. Some of my favourite points:
- The LCD display is really sharp and clear - great for reviewing your shots - makes the display on the 400D look poor even though it's not really that bad
- You can use the LCD display to take shots which at first I thought was a bit pointless (what's wrong with the viewfinder?), but when trying to take macro shots of damp moss near to the ground it is extremely useful being able to use the LCD display, especially as it angles and tilts, so now I'm a convert!
- The fact that the LCD display is touch screen was something that again I thought was an unnecessary extra - however it is very useful to make quick changes to settings without turning dials and knobs
- The 18.0 megapixel sensor is excellent and is an obvious step up from my 400D's 10.1 sensor. If you need to crop a shot you can do without losing detail and the photos are top notch quality (well, as good as the photographer who takes them!)
- The ISO of up to 12800 is very useful in low light conditions, although of course if you go too far, you do risk grainy shots as with any camera
- The price is not unreasonable for a piece of kit of this quality
- It feels good in my hand - not too heavy but reassuringly solid
- The £50 cashback from Canon was a very nice little extra
All in all I think this is an excellent camera and I'm really happy with the shots I've got with it. The only downside is that it's so good I had to buy a new lens and spend more money! Shots taken with the combination of the 650D and my new Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens are definitely worth the money!
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Oct 2013 19:28:12 BDT
Could you use your old lens from the 400D?
Posted on 31 Oct 2013 06:17:55 GMT
W. Argyle says:
Thanks for a great Review, Now all I need is to convince the wife I NEED this for Christmas to record in Stills and Video as we move into the NEW House !
In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2013 09:14:10 GMT
Suzy & Bruce says:
Yes, all my old lenses work fine with the 650D :)
In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2013 09:15:19 GMT
Suzy & Bruce says:
Good luck with that :) It's well worth the money in my opinion, if you can afford it. And its gone down in price too since I bought it!
Posted on 22 May 2014 13:52:45 BDT
mark edmonds says:
thanks for your reveiw.im a beginer.had a 1100d,was out nearly every day in the golden hours on the coast shooting long exposure times with paint brush clowd and that glassey foggy sea look. i love learning front to back sharp focus,aiming for that graet depth-of-field look.ive been teaching myself and have made some good shots with the 1100d but need to buy new canon as out one night and slipped on a rock and had damaged a new 15-85mm lens and camra. i liked that lens! anyway im savingfor a new camra and reading reviews like yours to find the write canon, iff there are any other canons you recomend, i be gratefull to here.thankyou
‹ Previous 1 Next ›