on 13 December 2010
I bought this product in preference to a dedicated slide scanner because I thought that at least it would still be useful once I'd finished digitising my slide collection. I was prepared to accept the slower throughput, compared with a dedicated scanner, as long as the image quality was acceptable. In this respect the V330 does not disappoint. All the software installed without problems and the applications I have used so far have been stable running under XP Home Edition SP3. I find inserting and removing slides from the holder slightly fiddly but am getting better with practice. I decided to use a resolution which produces file sizes comparable with a 4 megapixel digital camera and found the image quality to be excellent.
I would have given this product 5 stars but for an annoying failing of the scanning utility: When scanning slides this first executes a Preview scan then displays the slides as a series of thumbnails. The software appears to auto-detect the image area within the mounts and tends to crop out varying amounts of the image in different slides. I suspect that this may happen when the edges of the image are particularly dark, making detection unreliable, although even light areas are cropped slightly. Selecting a thumbnail displays the dimensions of the area to be scanned. It is possible to marquee within this area to further crop the image but there is no facility for forcing the software to scan the whole slide. When I raised this issue with Epson Technical Support they advised me to use Normal, rather then Thumbnail, preview. This displays the entire slide holder and allows a marquee to be drawn around each image. Each area can be individually selected and zoomed (which provokes a further preview scan) after which the marquee can be fine-tuned. The marqueed areas can then be scanned in sequence. The marquee positions are remembered so another four slides can be scanned without the necessity of further previews, however I found that the alignment was a little inconsistent. I chose to overcome this by including part of the slide mount in the marqueed area and then cropping to size whilst cleaning up the images in Photoshop later as this was far quicker than performing multiple zooms and previews.
45 people found this helpful