5.0 out of 5 stars A charming, yet a not so straightforward romance movie, 4 Aug. 2013
This review is from: From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD] (DVD)
Ever since watching Tales From Earthsea, it must be said I was rather put back knowing Goro Miyazaki would be directing once again. The film however, was as charming and magical as all the other Ghibli films.
The film's main storyline is about how someone is answering a young girl's signal flags of which she raises everyday outside her boarding house.

At first it seems to be a straightforward boy-meets-girl scenario, but it definitely is not the case. There's a surprising amount of twists and bumps along the way, of which left me wide open of thought afterwards. The movie overall was adorable, I thought the music was outstanding and Aoi Teshima's gorgeous voice of whom sang Therru's song in Tales from Earthsea returns. The use of Sukiyaki, the only Japanese song to reach #1 in America, I thought was a nice touch too. The animation is what you expect from Ghibli, lovely hand drawn animation that goes to show that CGI hasn't killed it off just yet. I just hope we receive a Blu-ray version of the DVD to do the movie justice.

Overall, once again Studio Ghibli produces an unorthodox movie in the romance genre, proving that film makers do not have to follow the traditional formula to make a good film. It seems the future of Ghibli is in good hands after all.

**EDIT** September 1st, Hayao Miyazaki announces his retirement, it seems the gauntlet has officially been passed onto his son and Hiromasa Yonebayashi (Director of Arrietty), though now we can finally sigh in relief!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Aug 2013 14:25:49 BDT
Nigel says:
I of course agree with the film being really great. I have to add his father wrote the script, based on a comic of the same name and very much was not a solo from Goro.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2013 09:49:35 BDT
Hey Nigel, great point which I was aware of but didn't point out. I'm no expert in film making, so I have no idea how big of a role a screenplay has on a film (probably pretty big considering they can win awards). However, I have a feeling a director has a bigger role. The reason Tales from Earthsea wasn't up to par with the other Ghibli films in my opinion, was because it was quite slow and dreary, such as the fight scenes. On top of that, the way that scenes would end, such as when Arren met Sparrow Hawk, I felt was a bit too awkward, of which could only be portrayed through the directors vision, not from a screenplay, which is about conversations and speeches, am I correct?

Great comment once again, but I wouldn't make too much of a fuss about it. I thought the whole film was amazing, so we shouldn't take anything away from him, albeit if he had a little bit of help! :)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2013 23:47:59 BDT
Nigel says:
I find it amusing that, to gain wider appeal, they've actual advertised it on the box-art that his father wrote the screenplay. On the collectors that I plan to get it says "Planning and screenplay by Hayao Miyazaki." Oh Studio Canal. I'll post my review when the blu-ray is actually released ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2013 09:47:11 BDT
But of course, I mean otherwise it would deter away those who watched Tales from Earthsea first time round. I think they should be more guilty of slapping on the sticker "From the makers of Spirited Away" on practically every Ghibli movie personally :P
‹ Previous 1 Next ›