3.0 out of 5 stars Good but...., 25 April 2012
This review is from: Jilted Generation (Paperback)
A good read which summarises the tough world out there for the younger generation. But the authors oversimplify by laying the blame at the door of the baby boomers as if it was a deliberate act to sabotage their own children. Short sighted politicians are to blame coupled with a privileged and highly biased media and a general apathy for real rebellion.

If you were to take the current early twenty something's and time warp them back to the seventies with easy mortgages and jobs, would they not also jump on the bandwagon, with barely a token nod to the future generations? Yes they would, and they wouldn't then have the inclination to then pontificate about their lot in life. Hindsight is always an easy mechanism with which to lay blame.

I hated Thatcher and voted against her every time. What else should I have done? I am helping both my kids through Uni (bigtime) and will leave them our house. Sorry if I don't die early enough. The authors would also do well to go back another generation or two Their prospects would then often be the Workhouse for the poor (a real prospect for my dad) and they certainly wouldn't have to worry about benefit levels and the current perceptions of the older generation concerning their (relatively) comfortable i-Lives.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Aug 2012 19:23:15 BDT
HawkHighway says:
I understand and feel your anger. However, I don't feel that what the authors are doing here is any different to what the elder generations (not just the Baby Boomers) have been doing for years. The elder generations will always see problems in the world as the younger generation's fault.

I think it's extremely noble of you to help your children with their university fees. My parents could afford to (and I had my student loan means-tested because of that) help me out, but they chose not to. Both of them earn a rather high wage individually. Unfortunately for me, they never even offered to help me out. They were going on round the world cruises and days at the races (the kind of events where you spend a month's wages on a suit before you even start gambling). My father is less selfish than my mother, I have to say.

Surely, as a loving parent of not one but two children (I'm an only child, by the way), you can surely see that to gamble away money at the races while your only child loses sleep and can't afford to buy a winter coat and boots to keep the cold out or nourishing food to eat (such as porridge, potatoes etc.) because all the money from the student loan pays their exorbitant rent is pure selfishness.

When I finally did graduate (with an Upper Second Degree in English), my parents did allow me to live in their house once again, but they treated me as nothing but an inconvenience. When I said that I would rather try and get a paid job working as a receptionist in Wakefield Cathedral, I was instead bullied into taking an unpaid internship by my parents (they have, all my life been emotionally and at time physically abusive). It was only when my future husband brought me to live with him instead (yes, in a poky over-priced flat, not a house) that I stopped actually feeling suicidal.

You are a very self-less gent. I think it's extremely generous of you to prioritise your children's education and leave them an inheritance. I understand that you feel hard done by that you are unable to retire and enjoy freedom before you do get old. Still, not everyone is like you. Most of the Baby Boomers I speak to seem to think that those under the age of about thirty should be committing mass suicide and giving all the experienced mature generation a break. You say (with irony, obviously) " Sorry if I don't die early enough." Well, I'm sorry if I was born and am preventing the elder generations from retiring.

One other thing, you mention benefit levels. If like me you have only worked for no money (and working for no money doesn't mean you work any less hard) in internships and volunteering for charities, you aren't allowed to claim any benefits (not even job-seekers) because you've never made N.I contributions. That's what I got for working for free, condescending attitudes from the people at the job centre and no help from them either practically or financially. If my future husband wasn't looking after me, I would be homeless.

I hope I have not offended you, but it can't be that far from the truth that for every young, bratty person living a "comfortable i-Life" there are countless more who are unloved and unsupported by their parents, working indefinitely in an unpaid job, having to swallow anti-depressants and contemplating suicide.

When we get our careers, we will pay our way and your pensions as well. We'll make it up to you. Unfortunately, I can't imagine that happening any time soon.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2013 07:42:17 GMT
Unlike HawkHighway, I didn't read what this reviewer (Mike Keay) said as blaming the young. I don't see a justification for saying "The elder generations will always see problems in the world as the younger generation's fault", because he didn't claim that.

On the contrary, it is typical when talking of intergenerational issues for younger people to blame older people. And that is something the authors do in this book. An example from the book: "We know that our parents didn't want it this way; we know that when they accepted the terms of their society they were only trying to do what was best for themselves and their families. But we also know that they could have done better if more of them had remembered that they weren't just individuals but citizens too".

What on Earth does "they could have done better if more of them had remembered that they weren't just individuals but citizens too" mean? Assuming that this is supposed to be about me too, (I was born in 1947), what should I have done that I didn't do? What did I do that I shouldn't have done? That statement is abstract waffle, not grounded in the real actions of real people living a real life. I suspect it is based somehow on the assumption that we had at the time at least the knowledge that the authors have with hindsight, and had our hands on the levers of power. Hardly any of us had such power, and none of us had such knowledge.

You (HawkHighway) talk of making National Insurance contributions. The "social contract" for pensions relies on that: my generation paid NI for decades to help pay for the pensions of people older than us, (knowing they would never repay us), with the expectation that younger people will eventually do the same for us. And today's young people will get old and rely on generations younger than them. That is why so much fuss is made of NI contributions.

As an engineer, my attitude is primarily to understand underlying problems so that they can be fixed, rather than get distracted by blaming people. Unfortunately, the authors of this book don't appear to share this attitude.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Dec 2013 17:48:54 GMT
If you are not working at all, you may be entitled to Income Based job seekers allowance. This is means tested, so if you have more than £16000 in capital, if you have any cash, property or a partner working then that will affect any amount you may be entitled to. I don't know where people get the idea that because the have not worked they will have no entitlement to benefit. If that is what a friend has told you, look it up for yourself at
‹ Previous 1 Next ›