on 14 October 2009
I purchased this collection for my better half, who is a big fan. I didn't consider myself a fan. In fact I usually tried to avoid watching it when it was on TV.
However for a few evenings when there was nothing on TV we decided to put "The Vicar of Dibley" on. Since I had bought the boxset I thought I'd better watch a few episodes anyway. Anything for a quiet life!To my surprise I found myself really enjoying it. There are plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, even if you can see most of them coming a mile off.

The "Vicar of Dibley" is not edgy or groundbreaking. It is from the tradition of broad British humour, full of ridiculous situations, puns and double entendres. It gently pokes fun at the upper classes and the establishment. The characters are one-dimensional and in general don't change at all. However the comedic situations are so well written and acted that even the most cynical will be laughing.
Dawn French is brilliant as the trendy but lonely vicar. Even though she gently mocks her parishioners you cannot help but wish her the best. The supporting cast including Gary Waldhorn and Roger Lloyd Pack all experienced comic actors and relish their roles. Particular mention must go to Emma Chambers who plays the really, really thick Alice. She gets the most memorable lines. The "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" speech is a particular highlight. The writing, by the likes of Richard Curtis is also spot on, creating the unique world of Dibley, with its own logic and conventions.

This boxset contains all the series and the specials. You can buy it as a present for a real fan but you might end up secretly really enjoying it like me.
0Comment| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?