on 8 May 2011
Although I was born in 1992 a year after the film was made, I only watched it for the first time recently. I think that this was probably a good thing as it allowed me to understand it better. The story follows Vada Sultenfuss an 11 year old tomboy. She lives in a funeral parlour which makes death a big part of her life. Her view and feelings on this difficult subject changes as the film goes on and as we see her grow up over the summer of 1972. I will not give away anymore of the story but I challenge it to even move the hardest of hearts. It had me blubbering, but I always become emotionally involved in films. I would definately reccomend it to anyone but maybe not small children as they may find it distressing.
The acting is suberb from favourites Jamie Lee Curtis, Dan Akroyd and Macaulay Culkin. By far the strongst performance is from new young actress Anna Chlumsky as Vada. A five star film.
What's this?