on 13 July 2011
My 7 year old twin daughters are pretty easy to please when it comes to animation and they quite enjoyed this set of stories.

That said, I didn't like the dvd at all. I disliked the style of drawings: the figures are thin and ghostlike in shape and the movement is very jumpy indeed. Some of the voices are annoying - I was honestly glad when Sleeping Beauty conked out if only to give us a break from her nasal whining and the guy who voiced the beast thought that creepy was the way to go and jazzed up his voice acting with a terrible gurgling growl - it didn't bother my kids but it freaked me out a bit.

The story of Sedna took us into the usual realm of sudden death and cruelty that is customarily seen in fairy tales but even so I was shocked when the poor girl was thrown into the Arctic ocean at the hands of her own father. I know fairy tales are usually grim but I thought this went a bit beyond the pale.

I suppose if you don't pay too much money for it then it is worth a go simply as an alternative to Disney and Pixar but if I am honest, if I saw another Brittanica fairy story animation at a car boot sale for 50p...I still wouldn't buy it.
What's this?