TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 July 2010
This is a simple, easy to read, down-to earth book about how to achieve peace in our individual lives and thus in the world as a whole through learning to be in the now.

I usually try to rush through the various books I read, but that was not possible with this book, as the author's wise words calmed me, slowed me down and brought me into the now.

The book is composed of short passages, which makes for enjoyable, relaxed reading. Thich Nhat Hanh advises us about how to obtain mindfulness in various everyday circumstances, for example, while eating, walking, in connection with answering the phone, driving and while mowing grass with a scythe.

He advises us that there is no path to peace, peace is the path. Each of us must achieve peace here and now with our smile, words and actions. Everything we want is right here in the moment.

The key to mindfulness is attention to our breathing. He also includes useful advice about how to cope with our anger through a walking meditation.

We should refrain from watching violent TV-programmes, since we become what we focus on.

The author's love for humanity and all of life pervades the pages of the book, which includes a poem he himself wrote that helps us understand how we are all connected, are all one.

Much more could be said about this enlightening book, but read it for yourself. I highly recommend it. It really deserves the five stars I have given it. Read it in small portions.
0Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?