on 5 February 2010
I bought this book after searching through many that could possibly help me get back into the 'sketchbook habit'. I am planning to apply to an uni art course next year (as a mature student)and really wanted some inspiration of how to set out my sketchbooks to include as part of a portfolio.

This book isnt about your normal sketchbooks i.e. the one-drawing-per-page type from back at school, but more so the journal kind where anything and everything is recorded; pen and pencil thumbnails whilst commuting, collage using bus tickets and receipts, diary entries experimenting with different fonts - you name it. The artists in this book have taken journaling to the next level with excellent sketches from observation and memory, as well as lots of imaginative bits and pieces (one artist visually records their dreams).

Although the majority of artists in the book have had formal art training, a handful are self taught and are doing extremely well with their art. It shows that there is no hard and fast rule as to how you should keep a sketchbook, and to say I flew out of my chair to start drawing straight away would be an understatement!!

I am so pleased I bought this book, and since then I have been recording events from my day visually every day in my sketchbook. I think that by the time I come to apply to art school, I shall have a good few books full up with some (hopefully) impressive and unique pages. You will get all manner of ideas from this book, and it is one that you can dip into time and again - highly recommended!!!
28 people found this helpful