on 5 August 2010
Whilst researching information on self-employment I came across many articles, blogs and websites talking about the importance of personal branding. I did a search on Amazon and after reading a lot of book reviews I chose `Brand You'.

The authors bring light to today's ever-changing job market and that to ensure you stand out from the crowd you need to clarify your personal brand. The exercises in the book help you to build a picture of what makes you unique, and this is done by finding out your values, your unique talents and skills based on your own experiences. The values exercise involves listing your role models and going through each one and stating what it is that you admire about them - their personality traits, their work etc. Whilst working through this exercise myself, I saw a pattern emerging and realised what I admired about my role models were, in fact, my own values.

I found the use of `archetypes' fascinating, whereas before I was only aware that these were used in stories and films.

After clearly defining my purpose and aims, I find that I am able to make better judgements on what aspects I should focus on in terms of researching and developing my own career path.

The authors make it clear that personal branding is not about a well-designed logo. It's about being aware of what makes you different from the rest and it's about remaining true to your values. This strengthens your reputation - your personal brand and that is how people remember you. Your actions therefore feel effortless when they are in line with your purpose and aims and you remain authentic to yourself and with others.

Overall, I highly recommend this book, it's engaging and very useful, and by the end of reading it, I was much more clearer and more confident in the definition of my own personal brand.
What's this?