on 9 April 2012
This was one of the first SF books I ever read, at about age 14 some 40 years ago, and was one of the books which gave me a lifelong love of SF novels. One of the reasons why I think it is an outstanding example of the genre, is that someone like myself, at age 14 with absolutely no knowledge of physics was able to read the book without having to skip through pages and pages of technobabble (something which still irritates me today - if I want to read a story, give me a story, if I wanted physics 101, I would find the relevant literature).

Something that struck me as interesting after completing the book this time round, is that although the part of the story set in the year 2000 is now history, I wasn't bothered by the lack of current (then, future unimagined technology like PC's) in the story. At no time did I sit there thinking for example: ''well that's just stupid, why wouldn't the hero just Google his niece'' To me, this just confirms the superiority of plot and writing ability which has lasted right up to the present day, without ageing and becoming unreadable.
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse| Permalink