on 23 December 2013
Having had such a low opinion of Osmo Vanska's readings of both the 5th Symphony and the Violin Concerto (although I accept that Leonidas Kavakos was brilliant in the violin concerto)we have here performances of both works that show how it should be done.

Kennedy and Rattle in the violin concerto are as one. There is an understanding between them, a chemistry that is so rarely heard. I had an old cassette of this which I always loved, and it remains my favourite version of my favourite violin concerto.

And the superlatives carry over to the 5th Symphony where Rattle, in his CBSO days, gives in my opinion the best performance of this symphony ever committed to disc. If only Rattle had stayed like this allowing the music to flow.....unfortunately his interpretations seems to have lost some of the freedom and immediacy in Berlin.

However, let's just revel in this CBSO version which is as near perfection as I'll ever hear.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink