on 7 July 2011
Only a couple of comments to add.

1. Great title, but just to dampen it down very slightly, Charlie Spedding wasn't last for long! He does in all honesty have to delve quite deep into his pre-teen schooldays to find that phase of his stellar athletic career ...

2. It is very nicely written, with a lightness of touch and some lovely dry asides:

On an operation that nearly killed him:
He told me that he had never lost a patient, but for a moment he thought he was going to lose me. I found that all the medical staff preferred to talking about misplacing me, rather than say 'you nearly died.'

On abuse when he was out training:
I would often have cars tooting their horns at me, or pedestrians shouting little gems of wit and repartee along the lines of 'Get your knees up!' or 'Have you missed the bus?' Depending on my mood I would either ignore them, or simply indicate that I had two miles left to run.

A very enjoyable read. Should inspire anyone to string together 26.2 sub-five minute miles. Or at least, try.
2 people found this helpful