4.0 out of 5 stars Great book - but still lacking, 3 Jun. 2014
This review is from: National Geographic Animal Encyclopedia: 2,500 Animals with Photos, Maps, and More! (Hardcover)
Overall the book is a wonderful, colourful representation of an immense amount of animals on the planet. The photography is wonderful as is some of the information it contains. My 7 and 2.5 yr old sons love it and I try to involve it in someway each evening where possible.

I have one criticism of Amazon - that they should have a 'look inside' preview for all books (since I live outside the UK this book is not in any book stores in my country to check out). Not much point of an online bookstore that you can't actually check out the books first. Makes more sense to go into a book store and pay that little extra and actually see inside what you are getting. but unfortunately i don't have that option - in my country of residence there are no English books either :)

The one criticism of the book is that it really does not have enough information about each animal. The descriptions or info is minimal at best - I was hoping for my sons to learn a little bit more about the animals, to have some fascinating fact they can latch onto but in reality it's a photographic album with a few 'titbits' of info. There is a gap in the types of books available on the subject with lots of encyclopedias out there that have a lot of detailed information but are too serious, complex and boring for children under 10 and usually with not very good images (or not many) and then there are the children's animal encyclopedias which are too 'kiddy' with lots of animations rather than quality pictures, there is nothing in between and this was what I was hoping this book would be. It says there are 2500 animals included - I would have settled for 1500 (since many animals shown are just different types of the same animal - dog or fox for example) and more certainly fascinating information rather than a nice photo and 4 lines of text (how much it weighs, where it lives and what it eats - that's it). For example it sells the book saying there are thousands of fascinating facts - I've read about 25 pages at random with my boys and probably found less than 10 so that's a big ask for the rest of the book :)

Another website (not amazon) promotes the book with a quote of 'did you know Tigers have stripes on their skin so if you shave a tiger, it's stripes are still visible - I can't find this in the book, it's not on the Tiger page at least. It says very little about Tigers unfortunately.

I give it 4 stars simply because it still is an amazing and quality book to have on your bookshelf and which kids love for the pictures alone but it loses a star because of the lack of 'fascinating' information it actual doesn't have. I would recommend anyone to buy it anyway because it is quality, but if you do want fascinating information and not just beautiful photography I'd search for another book to fill this void to compliment it with, which is what i am doing.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Sep 2014 19:45:48 BDT
Thanks for your comprehensive review - a tip re lack of "Look Inside" feature - I missed this on the .uk site too, but found that the Amazon.com site has it for this book.

Posted on 8 Jun 2015 23:09:36 BDT
Thanks for your review! It certainly helped me make up my mind. My six year old son wanted a book about foxes, and I thought that perhaps this book would have an interesting section on foxes. It looks like he might be disappointed, so I am giving this book a miss. I do agree with you that the need of the hour for kids is a book that gives us quality content...lots of interesting facts that kids can digest, with some good pictures...not just some skimpy details!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›